general enquiries

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi

just some enguiries:-

) is surface skimmer necesasary ???

) is it necessary to add anti chorine when water change ??

thanks

chan

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ) is surface skimmer necesasary ???

Not absolutely. I don't. I find that there's a higher chance of the filter getting choked. To break the protein layer, I allow the filter output to gently aggitate the surface a bit. I scoop out floating dead leaves once a week.

) is it necessary to add anti chorine when water change ??

You should, especially for large water change. I think I once wiped out my filter bacteria once when I didn't. However, quite a few forumers has got bitten by the lazy bug (like I did before) and are not using anti-chlorine, but to no obvious ill effect.

thanks

You're welcomed.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Skimmer:
    Depend on how you want it. If you wish to have clear water surface all the time and do not mind clearing the dead leafs trapped at the skimmer everyday (for big tanks), then skimmer is for you.
    On the other hand, like Vinz mentioned.

Anti-Chlorine:
    If you do not change too much water (0~25%) at a time, its' ok. If your place's water source is coming via the building's top holding tank, then it is better since it has less chlorine.
    Prevention:
    If you have small tank (less than 3 ft), when refilling fresh water to the tank, rush the tap water down into a pail to create turbulance. This will help to drive away part of the chlorine.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    skimmer:
    Also depends on tank size... I dun think you want to fit a skimmer in a small tank. Some tank are to small to even fit one. Another factor is the type of filter. Not all filter can incorporate the skimmer.

Anti clorine:
    I'm topping up direct from the tap and each water change is about 40~50% weekly. No anti clorine used. It's always a plus to use it but me bitten big time by the lazy bug. Still up to yo whether to use or not.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    if you want to remove surface protein film, you can keep mollies or platy instead of using a surface skimmer. these fishes will help keep the water surface clear.

i have been changing my tank water 40-50% and am not using anti-chlorine. no problems. if you do bigger water changes then you'll need to add anti-chlorine. once i had my bacteria colony wiped out due to big water change and not using anti-chlorine.
    thomas liew