Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Fishing in the Amazon

Feedback Score

Fishing in the Amazon

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi any one remembered this thread,Fishing in the amazon posted by Mez awhile back?
    There were some under water picutures of the amazon shared by budak, posted in another forum.
    Can anyone help me identify the plant below the school of cardinal tetras?
    Is it E.tennellus?

#nicholas
    Web Album

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yes, its E. tenellus.. there is an article by Oliver from Below water that the biotope in Amazon doesnt have plants like what u have seen in the picture, rather, plants native to SA like the echinodorus isnt seen in the river but rather at the banks.. reason to that is becoz the blackwater blocks the sun's peneration.. making it unsuitable for plants.. but there are other rivers which has plants like those in the pic.. mabe just certain rivers where the tannic effect is heavy

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    omg omg!! are those really wild cardinal tetras!!! are those rummy nose above them?? do you have more pics!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    C.T,
    FYI.... The cardinal at Gan's are also wild caught.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i might be wrong. please correct me if i am. but aint all cardinals caught in the wild cos they are extremely difficult to breed in captivity?
    ... always look at the bright side of life

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    yeah i think joe's right...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    sometimes i wonder how these cardinals get so fascinating colours in the wild ... fastastic rite? ... imagine being able to be in Amazon rivers and seeing a school of 100s swim past you [:0]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Joe: You can sort of experience it at Gan's place. He has a tank outside solely with probably > 1000 carindals. The effect is damn *shiok* when they swim a shoal.

BTW -- the above pic is probably what a SA biotope should look like. Quite uninteresting leh, but seems quite low maintenance.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    you have to see his secret stash of cardinals behind the locked rooms. probably 5 rows x 12 tanks each of 1000 plus cardinals in each.

Feedback Score
    Simon: hmmm banks huh? but even so, so little light can penetrate through!

Juggler : thats why i'm asking what plant was that...thinking of recreating the biptope...easy maintanence!

Cardinal Tetra: it's an old thread, and budak posted a link titled "Amazon"
    #nicholas
    Web Album

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Came across this biotope link while browsing: http://www.mongabay.com/fish/biotope.htm

Was interested to see the plants listed for South American biotope. Not sure why the author list Vallesneria when it is not South American plant (I checked with Tropica.com database). Could the author have wrongly identified it? Maybe they are Sagittaria subulata?
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/3/2003 12:39:54 PM

Joe: You can sort of experience it at Gan's place. He has a tank outside solely with probably > 1000 carindals. The effect is damn *shiok* when they swim a shoal.
    ----------------

Would love to make it down there for the coming workshop but schedule might no permit. My baby girl takes aways all my attention [:] Will try to make it if possible

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 3/3/2003 1:20:56 PM

Came across this biotope link while browsing: http://www.mongabay.com/fish/biotope.htm

Was interested to see the plants listed for South American biotope. Not sure why the author list Vallesneria when it is not South American plant (I checked with Tropica.com database). Could the author have wrongly identified it? Maybe they are Sagittaria subulata?
    ----------------
    According to the article itself, they said Vallisneria americana is from North America...reccomended for a South American BlackWAter Stream biotope,maybe a typo? Or overlooked?
    #nicholas
    Web Album

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 3/3/2003 3:09:38 PM

----------------
    On 3/3/2003 1:20:56 PM

----------------
    According to the article itself, they said Vallisneria americana is from North America...reccomended for a South American BlackWAter Stream biotope,maybe a typo? Or overlooked?
    ----------------
    According to http://www.biotopeaquariums.co.uk/america/parana.htm, Vallisneria is present in South America [V. spiralis]. I don't think the author states V. americana specifically. There is also a disclaimer at the top of the page -- http://www.mongabay.com/fish/biotope.htm

Feedback Score
    I think sierra's right..the author didn't specify which V.americana
    #nicholas
    Web Album