Country
    Singapore

Floating driftwood

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Dear friends,

I bought two nice so call driftwood from a LFS, but when I putting it into my tank, its FLOAT!!! alamak.... izzit tat if I submerge it in water, it will sink later?? Or is there another way to make the driftwood sink?[]
    Don't bother if its Black cats or White cats, so long as it can catch Rats. Its a Good Cat.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Try boiling it. This may help expel the traped air in the wood allowing it to sink.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Sherchoo,

it's a moderate roots type that I just bought at the IFS that u saw me... it's not the normal dark (sinking) driftwood but it's a light brown.

Today I pour boiling water over the two woods with no effect in sinking it.

izzit boiling will drive out the air? hmm.. how to boil just a big piece of wood? If thats the only way, maybe I put the woods in a metal tub and soak it in hot water lor?[]
    Don't bother if its Black cats or White cats, so long as it can catch Rats. Its a Good Cat.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    TTL,
    yah... boiling it is qute difficult if the wood is huge. If you have a tub, you can soak it with th hot water... that should do the trick.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    use some rocks to hold the wood down ... then boil one or 2 kettles of boiling water and sink them for good ... leave them overnite [:]
    ... always look at the bright side of life

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    If you don't have a tub, do what I did. Place it in the tank, weigh it down with something heavy like rocks and leave it to soak a week or so.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    But I known of sawmill yard at overseas, throwing the log at river for storing when the yard is full, don't they afraid the wood will sink? hahaha just guessing...

Ok, I will do the holding down with rock and hope it stay there forever method for a week while considering the layout of my tank... if its still not work, I will continue to haunt u all.. hahaha

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    the mangrove root I got, took about a months time to stay hold..

Feedback Score
    I facing same problem also. I wanted to sink it into the tank with a stone to weigh it down But I am worried that the stone would contaminate the aquarium. Any advice on the stone selection or maybe treatment to the stone?

Feedback Score
    Osprey, granite should be fine, or the dark pebbles, as long as it dosent contain limestone, and some others...not very sure..
    #nicholas
    Web Album

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    ----------------
    But I known of sawmill yard at overseas, throwing the log at river for storing when the yard is full, don't they afraid the wood will sink? hahaha just guessing...
    ----------------
    nope. they will not sink. even fully water clogged, about 10% will still be above water. however, some heavier wood will sink the moment they hit the water.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Osprey,

if you worry about contaminants getting into you tank, soak the stone in a big pail of water for a couple of days. make daily water changes and any contaminants should be diluted. however, if the stone is porous, then you'll need to soak longer.

for planted tanks, the stone is preferably inert. to test, just pour some vinegar on the stone and see if it fizzles. if it does, then your water hardness will be changed over time.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    actually, the vinegar test is a bit dodgy... it really depends on the calcium source in the rock. different types of calcium react more easily with vinegar. In a recent post in AB, someone had this issue and did a vinegar test, however, that showed negative... later he tested again with an acid, and found that his gravel was actually not lime free which was why his GH/KH was very high.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    A little joke here.

If it's susposed to sink why would people call it driftwood. A sinking wood wouldn't drift.