Country
    Singapore

Weak water flow from my canister filter

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

I am back with a new thread. Thank you so much for all your suggestions in my previous thread.
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=54546.
    Now my tank is full of plants now and the water is clearing slowly.

However, I find that the water output from my canister filter, Ecco 2232 is rather weak after the chiller comes in the picture. It is so weak that the 3 black balls in my disfusor can't move at all. And I can't see any "SERIOUS" movement of water in my tank.

My friend suggested me to get another more powerful canister filter like Jebo, to hook my chiller onto it as he feels that Eccon is too weak especially connecting to my Arctica 1/10HP chiller.

What do you guys suggest?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Weak water flow from my canister filter

another suggestion would to to buy an inline pump and chain it between the intake and your canister.

What chiller are you using and what is its recommended flow rate?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

expected. If not mistaken eheim 2232 is only 400l/h. It alone not enought for 3ft tank not to mention xonnecting it with chiller and CO2 reactor.

get more powerfull filter and drive your chiller seperately. 1/10 hp chiller will need at least 1000 l/h (please read chiller flow rate requirement). slow flowrate will cost you a bomb in electricity
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

2232 is 400l/h. Recommended tank volume is upto 100L.

With every additional equipment connected to it, the flowrate is reduced. Meaning that chiller and CO2 reactor reduces the flowrate.

Go for Shadow's advise.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks guys,

What will the specifications of the canister filter I should look for? In order to satisfy my chiller and also the tank itself, which brand of canister filter will it be?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Let me put this way when I connect my eheim 2217 (1000 l/h) to chiller and CO2 reactor, the output flowrate is drop to ~500l/h

When I connect 1700 l/h pump to drive ehem 2217 (removed impeller), chiller and CO2 reactor, the flowrate at output improve to ~540 l/h. Very little improvement.

What I'm trying to say, base on my experiment, I might need insanely powerful pump to get 1000 l/h that I want at the output. Which is waste of electricity.

I end up using 1200l/h to run the chiller and eheim 2217 for the filtration.
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Personally, I prefer to run all equipment inline with a filter (whether it's a canister or simple inline sponge filter). The filter is always before the other equipment so that I can be sure that any large detritus is removed from the the water before it goes into the equipment.

As for brand of filter, I personally go with proven and reliable brands like Eheim regardless of the price. Electrical equipment that run 24/7 without supervision are electrical and fire hazards and I like to know that the ones I use are well made and can run without over-heating/short-circuiting (or at least built with fail-safes that prevent disasters) even if the water flow gets disrupted.

The chiller manual should indicate the required maximum and minimum flow-rates. Choose a filter to target the maximum flow-rate. Filter flow-rates will always drop and never exceed the publish specifications for many reasons, like:
    - lost of power due to age, and wear and tear.
    - over-packing of filter media.
    - clogging of media over time.
    - slow down due to clogging or growth on inner surfaces of hoses.
    - additional equipment in-line.
    - etc.

If you target the minimum, you are guaranteed of dropping below the minimum.

Robert, how did you determine the actual flow-rate? Your numbers are shocking!
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I use stopwatch, bucket, valve and measuring cup. So basically turn on the valve for 10 second, measure the water in the bucket with measuring cup and re-calculate to get liters/hour.

I'm also quite shock when first try, but when I measure the filter alone, it is quite accurate. That mean along the line either CO2 reactor or chiller cause it to drop.

You should try it out and tell us how is your setup flow like. It is easy to do especially if you already use eheim quick disconnect valve
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by melc View Post
    Thanks guys,

What will the specifications of the canister filter I should look for? In order to satisfy my chiller and also the tank itself, which brand of canister filter will it be?
    At the very least you will need an Eheim Pro2 2028 canister with 1000 L/hr. This is _barest_ minimum for your tank size and equipment setup.

What would be much better would be Eheim Pro3 2080 at 1700 L/hr output. But its not going to be cheap...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    At the very least you will need an Eheim Pro2 2028 canister with 1000 L/hr. This is _barest_ minimum for your tank size and equipment setup.

What would be much better would be Eheim Pro3 2080 at 1700 L/hr output. But its not going to be cheap...
    Thanks guy for your inputs.

I purchased a Eheim Pro 3 2073 yesterday and the water flow is quite strong now. Was actually thinking using the Ecco as normal filteration pump but seems like the current from the 2073 is enough to make my plants go swaying.

At this moment, I keeping my Ecco as a spare one. Maybe the 2073 with an outout of 1050L per hour is still new, the flow is quite strong now.

Guys, do u think this is sufficient for my chiller and my CO2 system?
    Last edited by melc; 15th Apr 2009 at 12:49.