Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Any possibility of CO2 overdose?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Any possibility of CO2 overdose?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hey guys I recently posted here asking on how to keep my pH down. and this is a little bit of a followup

I am thinking of using CO2 to help monitor my pH (and maybe help my moss grow healthy), but im afraid to use it for the number of potential problems that may arise from its introduction to the tank. i have DIY co2 which produces about a bubble every 3 secs when the end of the airtube is about an inch into the water. My 15gal aquarium is sparsely planted with the equivalent of roughly just over 2-2.5 LFS sized tubs of moss. I also have an airpump in the tank. lighting is good, have a 2x36W light, but dont use both together for long periods of time at the moment..

If I use the DIY CO2 and a diffuser:
    1) how fast would the CO2 be released FROM the water by the air pump? I read that the airpump can easily get rid of excess CO2 from the water.
    2) If it gets rid of the excess CO2 quickly, does it still affect pH, or by how much? I tried a test in an empty tank, bubbling the DIY CO2 while having an airpump, pH still dropped.
    3) Is there a possibility that if i leave the CO2 inside 24/7 that the fish may get CO2 poisoning as there is not enough plants to use up the CO2?
    4) Is it possible for the pH to crash due to the CO2?

cheers,
    Last edited by trece; 14th Apr 2009 at 21:34.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: any possibility of CO2 overdose?

I am a bit lost as to why you need to bring down the pH?

ck

Somewhere on a tiny Island call Sillypore
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: any possibility of CO2 overdose?

I think what you need is a ph monitor which will answer most of your enquiries. You can purchase one at C328 with this brand call PINPOINT by Amercian Marine Inc. Also, if you co2 is not bubbling like an airstone in your tank. With your filters running, your fishes will not die from co2 poisoning.
    Eugene (^_^)
    De Dwergcichlide Fanatiek
    Now swimming: Plecos and Apistogrammas

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Any possibility of CO2 overdose?

i need to bring down pH as it has been constantly rising for quite a while now, and im having problems bringing it back down.
    read http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=54466

and i do have a pH monitor, and after taking out coral chips pH is still about 7.5. tap water pH is high, as mentioned in the other thread linked above.
    would also like to add, i have just tried to bubble it in to the tank and in 3 hours the pH dropped by 0.5. i may take it out in case the pH crashes
    Last edited by trece; 15th Apr 2009 at 18:49.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Remove all the coral chips. You can buffer using sodium bicarbonate instead. You can get it from the supermarket.

ck

Somewhere on a tiny Island call Sillypore
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah, remove all the coral chips. They are the reason why your pH is so high. Then do major water changes. If pH still does not go down, why don't you try peat instead of using co2.
    Eugene (^_^)
    De Dwergcichlide Fanatiek
    Now swimming: Plecos and Apistogrammas

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

DIY CO2 will result in pH swing even more. Because CO2 is not constant. Most BBA cases are related to DIY CO2, because CO2 content is not constant. Therefore, DIY CO2 is not a viable option to solve your pH woes

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

To on the CO2 for 24/7 is just wasting the CO2 supply. On the CO2 it when the tank lights are on, since plants make food with CO2, fertilizer and light. If the light is off then switch the CO2 off, otherwise the plants give off CO2 and absorb Oxygen in total darkness. This will reduce the Oxygen and increase the CO2 concentration plus the CO2 on 24/7, your fishes will not take it and grasp for Oxygen.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

becoz DIY CO2 cant switch off..hehe

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

recently i read that on and off CO2 will cost the ph to be unstable and causing more harm to the fish. How turn is this ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

thanks alot all for the help
    edit: um, all my coral chips out a few days already and pH still 7.5. did WC also, but tapwater pH is actually above 7.5
    besides peat which stains water, and changing substrate which i try to avoid, any other ways to help with this prob?
    Last edited by trece; 18th Apr 2009 at 18:17.

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Set up an automatic CO2 system that switches on and off at specified time. Once you control this element. You can then start looking at other ways to beautify the tank. Furthermore tank with CO2 is slightly cooler in temperature and moss looks great as a result.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

If CO2 is pump constantly to keep PH down and there is good surface agitation, fauna will be okay.
    Last edited by JadeIceGreen; 22nd Apr 2009 at 19:38.