Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia

About Eriocaulon cinereum

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hai everyone, pls share your experience with this plant.

I have 3 weeks tank with this eriocaulon cinereum, total 7 and survived 5. From 5 plants i only keep 1 plant to have flower and this plant looks not as big as others (see the zoom picture). Yesterday i pull one of them (big one) and got 6 propagated result and hope all will survive . About the flowering one lets see what will happen next .
    I have a question about this plant :

1. I did find information this is annually plant, but its annually as aquarium plant too ?
    because i have 2 hypotesis(guessing) how this plant die annually in the nature (my country):
    a. after flowering (flowering = timer to die)---> that's why i only keep 1 plant go to flowering stage.--> got info from another forum somebody do this unfortunatelly he isnot mention happened in the aquarium or not .
    b. in my country they will die naturally in dry season (no water), and they come back on wet(rainy) season.---> in aquarium there will be enough water and nutrient hope they will survive.
    well i am not scientist in this area so what do you think guys?

2. How about the other eriocaulon like australia and mato gozo, did they die annually too?

3. Is there anybody in this forum have australia or mato gozo? wanna sell/ trade stuff

btw, sorry to much question and for my bad english...

cheers....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    50% Luck,
    30% Persistence,
    17% Skill
    3% H2O2
    idiocracy....
    Trisapto Aji

Feedback Score
    Country
    Australia

Re: About Eriocaulon Cinereum

Hello friend

I am only new to this forum but i will share my experience.

Ericoaulons IME, aside from Setaceum, seem to be annual in their life span. Most are found in zones where the climate is dry for alot of the year. The plants seem to be programmed to set seed, in order to prepare for the dry season. When the rains come and flood, then the water subsides, you see ericaulons sprouting up everywhere. This is the case for some species found in Northern Australia, i understand cases are different in different parts of the world.

In the aquarium, the species i have tried have always flourished for about 6 months then flowered, and then died off. They are found growing emersed or in shallow water, i beleive once they are transfered to the aquarium they adapt well initially but then are programmed to flower, set seed and die off.

I have a friend who has kept E. cinerum growing for 2 years now without it dying. I have not been able to acheive this. I have 2 species alive through their flowering stage twice now but it has been luck or maybe what im doing is working.

When the plant sends up flower stalks, remove them by either pulling them out gently or cutting them off. If you leave them the plant will assume it is time(dry season) and send up many stalks in order to get as much seed as possible. During this time it will lose it's leaves until eventually it dies. You may need to be persistent during this time and keep on it. In a short time the plant will stop sending stalks and go back to growing new leaves and plants, which can be seperated by division.

You can see in this 1st picture the flower stalks coming from the plant behind the front plant on left, 2nd pic shows the flower from the same plant. These are under halide lighting.

I think that if you my friend can keep these long term in an Aquarium then you are considered successfull with this species in Aquaria.

I am not sure what you mean by Species Australia? There are 2-300 species here i think I am not sure how many are suitable for planted tanks. I have only tried about 5.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

For eriocaulon Cinereum, they would need cool waters of around 27 degrees or lower to flourish. Give them a nutritious substrate like ADA soil, and also high light (>3wpg).

cheers,
    Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b9...Brad/Erio1.jpg

By the way, in this photo from your, the small one on the right is which Ericoaulons. Is it the Eriocaulon sp. from Australia 'Red'.
    Best Regards, TS
    PlantLog Garden Cryptocoryne, Bucephalandra .....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Narodnyna,
    I think what you have in your tank could be Eriocaulon sp. from Sulawesi.
    If it is small in size when mature?
    I might be wrong.
    Best Regards, TS

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia

hi all
    ty for for sharing ur experience
    Plant geek
    Your info encourage me a lot. We have same thought about floweirng stage is part of natural mechanism/timer to die and also to survive in long term. So if we always cut/remove of crown stalk before it go flowering will switch off the timer and based on my experience also make this plant grow bigger and than we can split it to propagated new plant.
    Well i think i will remove all hairgrass i have and switch to this plant since they are have more low, compact form and easy to plant and maintenance

check this link to ID eriocaulon mato gozo and australia i was mention before.
    http://arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3017021
    http://www.rva.ne.jp/plants/gallary_yukei_a_o.html
    http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/my...ll_Plants/50/0
    I still confuse my self about my eriocaulon is cinereum or sulawesi because looks same for me. And yes my erio. small size ( 1-2 inch when mature).
    50% Luck,
    30% Persistence,
    17% Skill
    3% H2O2
    idiocracy....
    Trisapto Aji

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Not too worry on that. for now just keep it aside and enjoy the fun of growing it.
    Best Regards, TS

Feedback Score
    Country
    Australia

Hi again

I'm always careful to not name these plant's. I think E. sp Australia are just adopted names and not scientific names.

E. Cinereum is a Native here and grows in the wild.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: About Eriocaulon cinereum

may i know how you propagated them?
    I am having
    Eriocaulon Cinereum Thailand, never see them have anntena before

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by chipsetboy View Post
    I am having
    Eriocaulon Cinereum Thailand, never see them have anntena before
    If only this thread existed 3 months ago. I picked one up from Polyart awhile back, and it seemed to be doing great for awhile.

Then it started sending up multiple flowers, but I didn't know what they were and waited eagerly to see if they would bloom.

After sending up 4 of these bulbs, the entire plant just started melting

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia

I am having Eriocaulon Cinereum Thailand, never see them have anntena before
    I was found some forum discus it in very detail with picture, unfortunately i can't track it anymore i will try to explain with my bad english , well :

Observe your mother plant form above/sky view. Your plant will ready to split if you can see it starting to grow more plants out from the main stem, I have gotten as many as 5 or 6 out of one. It takes patience to separate, do not try to do it to early, let the plant grow like that for awhile until it is obviously two or more plants. Another thing to see your plant ready to split if you can see some leave grow oposite to another ( looks not perfect circle anymore--->. see my picture(sky view) all big plant ready to split ).

When you ready to take the risk follow this step :
    1. pull/uproot your plant gently and you can see massive root .
    2. with a bucket of water and plenty of light gently peal away the bottom layer of leaves around the plant keeping it clean until it's visible that their are separate plants. It's really no necessary to peal away the leave if u already confident and see where the boundary of separate plant.
    3. Use a sharp pocket knife but a razor blade will work too, gently slice between the plant being cut and the main cluster, you can keep doing this as long as it is visibly another plant.

Once you do it this way a few times, you get fairly good at it and will begin to see how easy it is to propagate this plant, just takes patience.

brace your self and good luck
    Last edited by NARODNAYA; 20th Apr 2009 at 11:02.
    50% Luck,
    30% Persistence,
    17% Skill
    3% H2O2
    idiocracy....
    Trisapto Aji

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    If only this thread existed 3 months ago. I picked one up from Polyart awhile back, and it seemed to be doing great for awhile.

Then it started sending up multiple flowers, but I didn't know what they were and waited eagerly to see if they would bloom.

After sending up 4 of these bulbs, the entire plant just started melting

well you can start over again than, all senior people in my community have same situation with yours and already give up to this plant from 2006. I hope this tread will give new hope for this potencial plant.

cheers....
    Last edited by NARODNAYA; 19th Apr 2009 at 02:21.
    50% Luck,
    30% Persistence,
    17% Skill
    3% H2O2
    idiocracy....
    Trisapto Aji

Feedback Score
    Country
    Australia

I am having Eriocaulon Cinereum Thailand, never see them have anntena before

Hi

Aside from E. Setaceum, i have always propagated them by division. In time a second plant will form as mentioned above. Carefully up rooth the delicate plant and gently divide it and replant.

I only remove when it will come away from the mother plant with ease, otherwise it is not time. I have recently propagated E. Zollergerinium by division in submersed form, it took me 2 years. I will post a picture of the 2 plants this week for you guys.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thank for the informaation. might have to give it a shot.

not sure why suddenly the lower part of my Eriocaulon cinereum start browning very badly. Not sure it the light issue or this few day the weather in singapore is Extremely HOT this few day. I can even feel that the water is warm my i put my hand in. Have just added a DIY fan in.

Quote Originally Posted by NARODNAYA View Post
    I was found some forum discus it in very detail with picture, unfortunately i can't track it anymore i will try to explain with my bad english well :

Observe your mother plant form above/sky view. Your plant will ready to split if you can see it starting to grow more plants out from the main stem, I have gotten as many as 5 or 6 out of one. It takes patience to separate, do not try to do it to early, let the plant grow like that for awhile until it is obviously two or more plants. Another think to see your plant ready to split if you can see some leave grow oposite to another ( looks not perfect circle anymore--->. see my picture(sky view) all big plant ready to split ).

When you ready to take the risk follow this step :
    1. pull/uproot your plant gently and you can see massive root .
    2. with a bucket of water and plenty of light gently peal away the bottom layer of leaves around the plant keeping it clean until it's visible that their are separate plants. It's really no necessary to peal away the leave if u already confident and see where the boundary of separate plant.
    3. Use a sharp pocket knife but a razor blade will work too, gently slice between the plant being cut and the main cluster, you can keep doing this as long as it is visibly another plant.

Once you do it this way a few times, you get fairly good at it and will begin to see how easy it is to propagate this plant, just takes patience.

brace your self and good luck