3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

1feet cube crypt tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Bros, after a less-productive thread up in another sub-forum, I feel that this would be the best place to post my questions. I am planning to set up a 1ft cube tank filled with crypts like wendtii, balansae(spread out) and parva in the foreground.

I need to know of the best substrate to grow them, lighting requirement(wattage and recommendation preferred) fertilizers and the dosing.. Please help me as I cannot wait to start!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: 1feet cube crypt tank

Hi betta_luRver,

I have been growing my Crypts successfully on inert substrate - gravel.
    However, I do add root supplements and fertilisers - all WonderGro products.
    For a 1-footer, C Wendtii and C Balansae would not be suitable as they can grow large.
    I would suggest a clump of C Pygmaea as the centerpiece surrounded by C Parva.
    Buy lots of C Parva to make the lawn as any bros here will tell you they are extremely slow-growers.
    That said, if you're going for the wild look, your choice of Crypts are perfect

This does not answer your questions, just suggesting the choice of Crypts.
    Warning: All posts are based on personal experience with no creditable validation whatsoever...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hey betta_luRver,

I am currently using Seachem Flourite as my base substrate with plain old gravel on top for my crypts.
    On top of that i using 8 hrs of 2.5wpg of t5ho lighting and co2 injection with cooling fans. temp arnd 26-27.
    Also using full range of WonderGro products, using their recommended dosage (high five to naturalmystic)
    Might like to add that crypts need pretty good water circulation or it tends to melt ><

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by naturalmystic View Post
    Hi betta_luRver,

I have been growing my Crypts successfully on inert substrate - gravel.
    However, I do add root supplements and fertilisers - all WonderGro products.
    For a 1-footer, C Wendtii and C Balansae would not be suitable as they can grow large.
    I would suggest a clump of C Pygmaea as the centerpiece surrounded by C Parva.
    Buy lots of C Parva to make the lawn as any bros here will tell you they are extremely slow-growers.
    That said, if you're going for the wild look, your choice of Crypts are perfect

This does not answer your questions, just suggesting the choice of Crypts.
    Hey there bro.. Yup, going for the wild unkempt look.. Planning to have the Wendtii and Balansae plated at the back together with a branchy bogwood. The Parva would be randomly planted in the middle to the foreground. Could you share what exactly do you use so that it would be easier for me to get them? Do add your regime too as dealing with algae is definitely something I'm not looking forward to judging from my past experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Cross View Post
    Hey betta_luRver,

I am currently using Seachem Flourite as my base substrate with plain old gravel on top for my crypts.
    On top of that i using 8 hrs of 2.5wpg of t5ho lighting and co2 injection with cooling fans. temp arnd 26-27.
    Also using full range of WonderGro products, using their recommended dosage (high five to naturalmystic)
    Might like to add that crypts need pretty good water circulation or it tends to melt ><
    Flourite looks like Gex soil-no? Wow.. T5HO and CO2ey.. I am planning to use a 1feet cube though so what kind of lighting would be advisable since I am going for low-maintenance?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hey betta_luRver,

heres the link for the flourite ,http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod.../Flourite.html
    As for your lighting perhaps you might want to consider having at least a 2 wpg as a rule of thumb. t5 lighting as debated in the forums is considerably brighter as compared to other light fixtures and use lesser power consumption for the same brightness.
    In consideration of you not wanting to use co2 perhaps you can use Flourish excel as a substitute for carbon. However you might want to be cautious of the dosage.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Cross View Post
    Hey betta_luRver,

heres the link for the flourite ,http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod.../Flourite.html
    As for your lighting perhaps you might want to consider having at least a 2 wpg as a rule of thumb. t5 lighting as debated in the forums is considerably brighter as compared to other light fixtures and use lesser power consumption for the same brightness.
    In consideration of you not wanting to use co2 perhaps you can use Flourish excel as a substitute for carbon. However you might want to be cautious of the dosage.
    Thanks for the link bro Cross! From the link it seems to be indeed a suitable substrate. About T5, are there any 1ft lightsets? As I have never some across them before Hmm.. Seems like I need around 15W of light.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Nope there's no 1ft T5. You can rely on PL... 1ft comes in 24W tube. Should be sufficient for your tank

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Agreed 24w PL tube should be more than sufficient for a 1ft tank with crypt. I am using 36w PL for my 2ft and crypt grows well with it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Jervis View Post
    Nope there's no 1ft T5. You can rely on PL... 1ft comes in 24W tube. Should be sufficient for your tank
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Lim View Post
    Agreed 24w PL tube should be more than sufficient for a 1ft tank with crypt. I am using 36w PL for my 2ft and crypt grows well with it.
    Thanks bros for the reply! Ok here was what I got just now...

10'x7.5'x11' glass tank
    Classica 2x 9W Pl lightset
    GEX Red packet Shrimp and Plants soil
    Riversand
    Bogwood
    A lot of Crypts(Colourful Aq)
    Narrow Java fern(NA Aq)
    Wondergro Root Tabs
    Wondergro Micro+
    Wondergro Macro+

After calculating my tank volume, just found out that I got too much light(with regards to 2Wpg rule)!!

So I have GEX soil as my base, covered with riversand. Crypts planted, moss, fern tied to bogwood, root tabs at the base of the crypts. What's next? Can anyone guide me the dosing regime for the Micro and Macro? What should the photoperiod be like since I will only use 1 of the 9W instead of the 2 I obliviously bought?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Bros, do I also need to dose Excel daily since I have no CO2 injection?