Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: High GH and KH - harmful to fish and plants?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

High GH and KH - harmful to fish and plants?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all, need some advice... I tested my tank with a test strip and have the following readings. Is this OK for fish and plants? Any danger of algae bloom?

GH - 180ppm
    KH - 240ppm
    pH - 6.5
    NO2 - 0 ppm
    NO3 - 30 ppm

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: High GH and KH - harmful to fish and plants?

Hi greenaqua, the numbers do not relate. Anyway, go to kribs and print out the CO2/KH chart. As for GH. you need to do some research. Ok for fish or plants? Nobody can tell except you. You choose the fish according to the set up. Or the set up according to the fish. Apology if I do not answer your question directly.

Also, the data itself do not justify if algae is going to boom. The indicators are not strong to tell me that algae is ready to jump in and feast.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: High GH and KH - harmful to fish and plants?

Hi, greenaqua,
    I suspect that your test strip had expired. Level of General hardness depends on the fishes and plants you are keeping. Some prefer harder water some not. I keep mine at only 71ppm for both KH and GH.
    Given the figure KH of 240ppm and pH of 6.5, you will have have CO2 conceration of 127ppm which is alot. A killer for fish. Plants will only suffer at night from the high conceration of CO2.
    NO3 of 30ppm is still alright if other nutrients are at a good level, if not than you will see algae soon.