Advertise here

Advertise here
    Glad you like them.

C. sp. 'Kota Tinggi' - a flower in its natural habitat

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Flowers of my Cryptocoryne collection / field trip

C. sp. 'Kota Tinggi' - the colour of the cultivated flower is pale in comparison to those in the wild

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

C. cf. nurii 'Bintan' - collected spathes which bloomed in my tank, they are termed by some collectors as C. nurii due to the looks of the leaves (wavy edges with markings) but the flowers do not have the classical heart shape limb

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

C. nurii 'West Pahang' - a blooming spathe in the wild, the spathe is relatively much smaller as compared to the rest of the C. nurii found in other locations

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

C. ferruginea 'Sungai Kerait' - a newly flowered spathe, finally after more than 1 year of cultivatation

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

C. cf. nurii 'Bintan' - again, the cultivated spathe lacklustre and the limb rots easily, just 1 day after blooming

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

C. keei 'West Kalimantan' - the spathe in its natural habitat

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

C. cordata 'West Kalimantan' - in its natural habitat, but I am not able to identify which C. cordata variety this specimen belongs to

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

C. fusca 'West Kalimantan' - an unopened spathe in its natural habitat

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Absolutely amazing collection you have there, love the C. keei 'West Kalimantan' & C. cordata 'West Kalimantan'
    ...I love rubies too ...
    Ken

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Ken, glad you liked them, I just upgraded from using N73 camera to Canon A480 (still a cheap camera though) before I went to Kalimantan, so the quality of the future photographs should be much better...

C. cf. ferruginea 'West Kalimantan' - the spathe in its natural habitat (I am using "cf." as I am not 100% sure whether I identified the species correctly)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

C. pontederiifolia 'Singapore' - an old photograph of the first wild spathe I found

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

C. wendtii 'cultivated' - an aquarium strain which I cultivated emersed in a flooded flower pot and it bloomed
    Last edited by illumbomb; 25th Jun 2009 at 23:02.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Bro, I just got some crypts(emmersed) from Teo's Aquatic Plant farm in Lim Chu Kang.. He gave me the soil he used to grow the plants in. I have just mixed it well with water, making it a "soupy concoction" and planted them in small pots acquired from a nursery in that area too. Will this work? Saw him growing them emmersed only on a tray in the open! But the spathe won't grow right? Didn't see any growing there...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Fauzy,

If you bought those already grown in fully emersed form in open areas in Teo farm, you should be able to grow immediately them too in emersed form in an open environment (i.e. as opposed to in enclosed tanks). Which species did you bought, C. wendtii?

However, i suggest that you keep the substrate / soil moist (I presume the pots you bought are fully enclosed? Else you will have to water them regularly) as cryptocorynes are found in wet areas in the nature (i.e. either in or along the banks of streams / rivers / swamps). Also, better don't leave the pots in full sunlight immediately, keep them in a shady location. I faced some problems with growth of BGA on the soil surface when growing cryptocorynes in the above manner so be prepared for it...

It is possible that some of the old leaves melt away after planting but as long as you see new leaves growing out, it should be fine. Once the cryptocoryne is well established and growing well (aim to ensure this), it hopefully should reward you with a spathe. I can't really advise on the exact time duration required for formation of spathe as it ranges from a few months to more than a year based on my experience. Have fun!

Regards,
    T S Wang

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for the reply! I got a few, one of it should be C.Nurii, red underleaf and bullated texture. Yup, enclosed pots! The substrate now is very muddy as the soil given to me was hard. They have all since wilted, all leaves are limp. By the way, I am a fan of your blog! Would love to collect some specimens from local streams before they become "extinct" but not sure where to begin!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Fauzy,

If you want to be safe, you can keep the pots in an enclosed tank first and slowly acclimatise them to lower humidity condition. If not, at least keep your pots slightly flooded will help too.

Most of the cryptocorynes found in the wild in Singapore are in the areas designated as nature reserves under the Parks and Trees Act. Do bear in mind that you will risk getting fines / imprisonment or both if you are caught collecting any plants from such areas, unless you are very sure that the area is out of that gazetted as nature reserve or national parks.

Anyway, Singapore is doing rather well in protecting our last remaining forest areas. However, I frequently see clearing of forest for other land use in Malaysia and Indonesia. The cryptocorynes in those areas are facing more threats of extinction than in Singapore.

My explorer's friend's blog is much more interesting than mine as he goes for field trip every week and have found many specimens which I believed might be new. He found many new cryptocoryne locations during his latest trip to Lingga Island! Enjoy!

Regards,
    T S Wang

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Ok.. Thanks for making me aware of it! Actually I am a keen follower of your blog and Mr Nakamoto's too.. I am currently making space to place "Five Plan" tanks underneath my arowana tank stand to have an enclosed emmersed setup like yours! So I'll be on my way then, thanks bro!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

C. cordata var. cordata 'Rompin, Pahang' - spathe of C. cordata (should be var.cordata since it was found in Peninsula Malaysia?) in its natural habitat

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

C. sp. 'Lingga Island (location 14)' - a collected spathe

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast