Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: How to get rid of green algae on driftwood?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

How to get rid of green algae on driftwood?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I have 2 pieces of driftwood that are 1/2-3/4 covered with xmas moss. The moss on both pieces are growing very well and a number of malayan shrimps have made them their home. Think their activites on my moss helped give it the "volume" (sounds like a shampoo commercial rite?).

My only problem is that the rest of the wood is covered my green algae (tiny ones that pearl like riccia and a few fluffs of Green Brush Algae).

How can i get rid of the Green Brush Algae? (I don't mind keeping the tiny ones but they will probably die before the brushy 1s)

Some pple advised me to removal them manually (plucking them out). I've tried that but they kept coming back (at the same locations).

A LFS recommended a "green algae control" medication and advised me to take out the wood and brush the algae with the stuff, wait for while, rinse the wood with water and put it back into the tank. What's the disadvantage / risk of using this method?

FYI, i only found the Green Brush Algae on my wood, not on plants (yet).
    ThEoDoRe

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    the LFS recommendation is not wrong...I know of some forumers who practise this method and its usually for BBA. Problem is that your moss is happily growing on them. What may be good is to increase your shrimp count and buy afew yamatoes shrimps.
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States
    You can take the wood out and put some Hydrogen peroxide on the algae. That will kill it like Bleach which you could also use.

I see algae and I remove it. Then Prune, do a water change, add nutrients back in etc.

Sounds like the plants are growing well etc since none is on them. Wood is a dead substrate will good attachment sites for young algae and there are a number of algae that only grow on wood.

Might raise your CO2 up a tad, add some Amano shrimps etc. They pick at very algae and keep it from growing into adult algae. The shrimps also love wood and cleaning moss.

Regards
    Tom Barr