Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Fish Waste in Planted Tanks??

Feedback Score

Fish Waste in Planted Tanks??

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all fish lovers.. I saw some planted tanks at Nature Aquarium (Thomson Rd) with really nice "carpet" grass.. newbie, don't know the name. The tanks are very tranquil to look at. I have a 3-ft bare bottom fish tank with tropical fishes and I can vacuum the waste away when I change water. If I do a planted tank like NA, how to get rid of the shit without getting the grass sucked out? If I don't vacuum what will happen to the accumulated waste. I use a canister filter but blocked the intake with sponge (no need to waste so often). Thanks

Hi, firstly the waste is used by the plants and so doesn't just get stuck there and accumulate till you get more waste than plants or fish! secondly, your filter should do a decent job of clearing most of the waste. but yes there will still be waste and debris on the substrate, usu when sucking out water, just use those siphons with a broad mouth inlet, they don't suck very strong due to wide mouth hence don't suck your plants or fish but the suction is strong enuff to suck up the waste!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    think of it this way, fish in nature dun live in bare bottom glass tanks with weekly room-service. If properly setup, the waste will break down and become plant food, water stays clear.

ck

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yup... never clean the gravel for months... in fact can't see most part of the gravel.

... try out a planted tank lah...[]

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi cwbenz,

Is it the small tank with a piece just a piece of wood and some fishes facing his counter?

If so, the plant in there is taiwan moss. Chan sells the moss ($5 per packet) so you can get from him if you want to. However, have to warn you, that moss is not easy. Those who have tried it said it needs cool temp.

In my case, my tank's temp. hovers around 28 deg. celcius and my taiwan moss is still trying to decide whether it should die on me after 1 month!

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 3/7/2003 9:11:21 AM

Hi cwbenz,

Is it the small tank with a piece just a piece of wood and some fishes facing his counter?

If so, the plant in there is taiwan moss. Chan sells the moss ($5 per packet) so you can get from him if you want to.
    ----------------
    Hi.. Thanks for all yr replies. Yes, that's the tank, I love it.

I saw a reply in Aquatic Realm posted by Kiwie.. "After a month or so the riccia grew too much..the healthy part of the riccia, the upper part, will break away and float to the surface of the water, leaving the dead part in the wire mesh...I have to replant the healthy part of the riccia back into the wire mesh.. and when I take out the wire mesh the sight of the tank was disgusting with so much dirt (fish waste) flying around. It was so messy."

Anyone with similar experience in this mess? I guess one may have to live with the mess unless there is a efficient plumbing system beneath this layer of carpet. Is there? Thanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Those fish wastes actually contributes to plant growth. Maybe that's why his riccia is growing so well.

All those stuff that floats around when I maintain the tank don't bother me. They well settle down after everything. But you can always carefully siphon those mess as you lift things up slowly.

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    All mature plant tanks have mulm (the stuff you call fish waste). It doesn't float around forever... usually, it settles down somewhere with no water movement (like under riccia, rocks, wood). or gets taken into the filter. It is really not an issue.

I have yet to see a tank with more mulm than plants. You can always vacuum the gravel gently with a wide bore siphon tube. Seriously, you will notice the plants more than the mulm. Give it a try.

ck

its not realistic to expect a super clean tank, its not healthy for your plants either if you keep it so clean. sure the stuff flies up when you disturb the plants and all, but give it half an hour and it'll just all settle back down again!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/7/2003 10:24:35 AM

Hi.. Thanks for all yr replies. Yes, that's the tank, I love it.

I saw a reply in Aquatic Realm posted by Kiwie.. "After a month or so the riccia grew too much..the healthy part of the riccia, the upper part, will break away and float to the surface of the water, leaving the dead part in the wire mesh...I have to replant the healthy part of the riccia back into the wire mesh.. and when I take out the wire mesh the sight of the tank was disgusting with so much dirt (fish waste) flying around. It was so messy."

Anyone with similar experience in this mess? I guess one may have to live with the mess unless there is a efficient plumbing system beneath this layer of carpet. Is there? Thanks

----------------
    Lots of ppl have this experience with Riccia... and probably Elatine Triandra too. If you are going to use moss, you're less likely to get this problem.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Thank you all for yr replies. Its a great forum site. More enlightened now. Keep posting

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Try Glosso. Maybe it will grow to be a thick layer of carpet that you won't bother with the little fish waste anymore.

The waste will act as "surface based fertilizer" which will benefit your glosso even more!

Feedback Score
    Thks. Like yr web page