Images
    Country
    Australia

Need help with wiring 2G11 Compact FL with 4 pins

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I bought 2 sets of Osram 2G11 type Compact FL yesterday. It has 4 pins are parallel to each other (you can draw a straight line through them). I also bought magnetic ballast. The man that sold them to me not very sure if it need a starter but I bought starter sets anyway. Can anybody help me with the wiring of this light? Are the middle two pins supposed to be connected to a starter. ARe these basically the same as the standard fl except it's in a U shape. Also I don't have capacitors Do I need them. Thanks guys.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    This is the way I connected. No need of starters. Just look at the cables A and B. It will be similar if you have a dual e-Ballast connecting to 2 tubes.

Hope this helps.
    I have to move this discussion to the equipment section.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Australia
    I don't have electronic ballast (too expensive). So I have to use the cheap conventional magnetic ballast. Yes I still live in analog world. Lol.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Sorry, I read wrongly. I will check out later.
    Anyway, above reply will be useful for those wondering about the connections for eBallast and PL lights.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

if u look at the wiring diagram on the e-ballast (provided by juggler), pin 2 and 3 is actually connected to a starter in the e-ballast. pin 2 and 3 corresponds to the 2 inner pins on the PL lamp. if u understand the circuitry of the fl, yes u are correct to connect the starter there.

U do not need a capacitor, unless you want to do a power factor correction. If u look on the iron ballast, it will indicate a power factor (pf) of 0.8, normally. This should be good enough. There is a formula for you to calculate the capacitor value required to bring up the pf nearer to 1, but the caps itself cost money.

Good luck in your wiring.
    Zulkifli

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/7/2003 10:10:20 AM

I bought 2 sets of Osram 2G11 type Compact FL yesterday.
    ----------------
    should hv Elbiru brand, cheaper. maybe can have spare money to buy the e-ballast.

next time can replace tube with Osram brand. []
    Zulkifli

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Australia
    Thanks guys
    I will install them tomorrow. Have to spray paint the hood today. Also I found a piece of white colour metal sheeting that I am going to use as a reflector. I heard that white colour has is a good choice for reflector.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/7/2003 10:46:44 AM

Thanks guys
    I will install them tomorrow. Have to spray paint the hood today. Also I found a piece of white colour metal sheeting that I am going to use as a reflector. I heard that white colour has is a good choice for reflector.
    ----------------
    how about using aluminium foil and stick it to the inside of the hood?
    more reflective than the white colour metal.
    anybody tried that?
    Zulkifli

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Australia
    Contrary to popular believed aluminium foil less than flat white. I saw this on the krib website. Mylar is much better but hard to work with because they are thin and burn easily. Mylar commonly used for helium ballons the one that you can buy in shops with shiny back.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Aluminium foil do not reflect very well but should be better than the white metal surface. If you can get those thin metal sheets (forgot which material), it should be better.

Another option is there are relector sheets for household florescent lamps fittings which comes in standard size of 2ft and 4ft. I believe Juggler if using that for his DIY lights. Juggler, I believe you have a pic or two. Care to share.....
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Here's the thread with the pics http://www.aquaticquotient.com/phpbb...opic.php?t=529

Can also consider some reflective materials as discussed in this thread http://www.aquaticquotient.com/phpbb...pic.php?t=8249
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Australia
    Thanks for the advise and info and I'll use what I can get here.

Hi, like to share this URL, its what I based on last time to learn more about lights, ballast, starters, etc.

http://misty.com/people/don/f-lamp.html

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/7/2003 10:32:15 AM

Sorry, I read wrongly. I will check out later.
    Anyway, above reply will be useful for those wondering about the connections for eBallast and PL lights.
    ----------------
    can we put all this in the FAQ? or as an article?

sorry if my suggestion causes inconveniences....helps to direct ppl who are keen on doing their own wiring...can even put in things like safety and precautions (I think Vinz has a thread in FAQ on how hot a PL is compared to FL).

the URL is good...but non-technical ppl can get lost...especially if they dun understand the technical jargons..

[] []
    Zulkifli