Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: my red plants are not red enough. why?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

my red plants are not red enough. why?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

I'm running a 2.5x1.5x1.0 ft Juwel Rio 125 tank. Height is 1.5 ft. Running at 2x36 PL on e-ballast. It works out to about 2.5W/US gal. My blyxa japonica is thriving very well and is working traces of redness in its leaves. just started on glosso. can't tell yet whether they're growing up or sideways. anyway, i'm trying to say that i believe my lights are sufficient (not 3W/gal but close).

However, my tiger lotus and e. rubin is not showing their redness. in fact, the new leaves tend to look greener than the earlier ones. I currently dose Tetra FloraPride every water change.

Why is my red plants not red enough? As I understand, it's usually due to insufficient lights and/or nutrients, ESPECIALLY iron. I don't know what is my problem now. I suspect it's due to insufficient iron, as I normally tend to underdose my nutrients (dead scared of algae attack).

Can someone tell for certain that it's due to lack of iron? and if so, what's the best way to dose iron without overdosing other nutrients? I'm just starting to try JBL Ferrous tablets. Tried looking for Ocean Free Root Monster but out of stock at Petmart.

Your comments are much appreciated.
    Cheers
    Boon Yong

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Iron might be the problem but also consider high nitrate...there has been discussions that red plants show more redness when the nitrates are low (less than 10ppm...and anything near 10ppm or more the plants tend to grow greener.)
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    I am having this problem with my unknown plants too,what are the ways to reduce nitrate???

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Water change lor....
    Check out Wynx' Blog
    Check out Wynx' Gallery
    When fate hands you a lemon, make lemonade.
    Dale Carnegie
    "Who cannot love Her smallest things cannot stand in front of Nature" 隆あまの 

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    a safe way to provide FE is thru boosters like root monster, FE tabs.. usually an overdosed tank with FE will have signs of spotted algae on the glass.. but a water change usually helps