Country
    Singapore

Beneficial bacteria

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

I would like to check about the topic on beneficial bacteria. I understand that we cycle the tank from the start to create the beneficial bacteria. But I have the following questions:

1) How do we know if we have enough of these bacteria or too much ?
    If my understanding is correct, If I have bio laod in the tank and Ammonia will be present and the beneficial bacteria will convert these Ammonia to NO2, then NO3. By doing some WC, we can remove the NO3. If there are traces of Ammonia, it may be that the beneficial bacteria is not enough, but will there be any harm if there are too much of these beneficial bacteria? Is there a way to know that the beneficial bacteria is too much in the tank ?

2) Due to what ever reason, lets says that the beneficial bacteria in our tank is not enough, is there any way to increase them? add Secham Stability ? or Masura VioPlus ? or is there any other ways ?

3) Is there any way to know that the tank is short of these beneficial bacteria instead of the indication of the presence of Ammonia ? Cos it may be too late for the sensative fauna.

EK

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Beneficial bacteria

Hi es88k,

1) we will never know if we have enough, obviously the more beneficial bacteria present the better it is ( thats the difference between a mature tank and a new tank. ) Beneficial bacteria is harmless to your fish. Yes theres a way if you are seriously keen on knowing if there is too much beneficial bacteria in your tank. Just take a crap in it and test for ammonia, if theres too much bacteria your ammonia reading should be at zero . ( Its BENEFICIAL bacteria! why wouldnt you want too much of it? )

2) Yes you can use seachem stability etc. Other ways would be adding gravel from a matured tank, using a filter cartridge from a matured tank or introducing a few hardy fish and have them cycle the tank for you over a period of time.

3) If you experience cloudy water then it CAN tell you that the beneficial bacteria in your tank is insufficient/short as you've mentioned. ( cloudy water can also be due to algae )

Hope this helped

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Maybe I should add in some reason....

Due to some mistake, I overdose some chemical, so I do some heavy WC daily. My shrimps are still OK, but I do not know if my water still contain enough BB. So, the method mentioned are actually for new tank and may not be for my running shrimp tank.

I thought of adding Seachem stability, but too much of it may not be good as it may kill the shrimps, that is the reason for Q1.

I will watch out for milky water and hopefully will not happen.

Thanks
    EK

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

i will always use cheap fish to test the water condition first.

i will also add chemical to start the process for good bact. the fish also adds the needed bioload.