Country
    India

milky/cloudy water

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

I am having a 150G heavily planted tank with 4w/g light for 8 hours, pressurised CO2 and dosing 3 times a week. Lately, for past 2 weeks, I am having cloudy, rather milky water in my tank. How to get rid of it.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: milky/cloudy water

Hi,
    you may want to try dosin nitrifying bacteria solution as ur tank may nt be cycled properly causin cloudy water. Is ur livestocks alot?
    Apisto bitae,tefe

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Has your tank been cycled properly before you introduce your lifestocks? Or did you introduce alot of lifestock at one go? If so, my guess is you are having new tank syndrome ( a normal part of a tank establishing itself- bacterial bloom ). The bacteria is not harmful to the fish, but they may be associated with high levels of ammonia and nitrites in a new tank which are both harmful to fish. Just simply do frequent partial water changes ( 15-25% every day ) to keep the ammonia and nitrite levels low.

To get rid of the problem, you will need sufficient benificial bacteria in your tank. You can either make use of a already used filter cartridge from a matured tank, introduce gravel from a matured tank ( any amount will do ) or reduce the lifestock in your tank.

Do not add new fish and limit feeding for several days.

If your tank is an established tank, probably means you've been overfeeding your fish, insufficient filtration or algae growth? I believe as long as you are diligent in your water changes you will have clear water in no time

Good luck and do update on how your tank progresses

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Is your filters working properly?

Feedback Score
    Country
    India

My tank's about 6 months old now. I have installed a new 2217 filer last week, and am having this problem since then. I just have 8 angels, fully grown in my 150G tank' Lighting is 5 w/g for 8 hours daily.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

im assuming the filter media is new as well? that could be the source of the bacterial bloom

Feedback Score
    Country
    India

Ofcourse, this filter media is also new. How do I get rid of this bacterial bloom?