Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Anyone expert in water treatment

Feedback Score

Anyone expert in water treatment

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I have been breeding yellow head compressiseps for years and always change 50 to75% of the water twice a week and never had any trouble. The water from the tap is 0 nitrate 0 nitrite 0 ammonia and about .02 clorimine, the P.H. Is about 8 with about 200-275 of T.D.S. while doing my normal water changes in one of my ten tanks I new something was wrong immediately, the fish went into acute distress swimming violently and gasping for air. I then tested the water and to my unbelief the T.D.S shot up to 670. I always add clorimine remover with my tanks measuring 0 on nitrite nitrate ammonia and P.H.stable at 8. What could be causing the t.d.s. to go drastically, and moreover what is in the water to the point that I cant change 10% of replacement water with out distress in the fish. Oh oxygen content is normal with regents.

Feedback Score

Re: Anyone expert in water treatment

m

y name

is

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Anyone expert in water treatment

Hi JamesCampBell,

Elevated T.D.S ( Total Dissolved Solids otherwise known as minerals ) in your area might be due to natural enviroment features eg. Mineral springs, carbonate deposits, salt deposits and sea water intrusion ( you might want to contact your city's water supply ) Basically what might ne causing your fish to grasp could be due to elevated ions such as nitrate. These could be symtoms of nitrate poisoning.

This is what i guess happened. I could be wrong.