Thread: Not successful with Yamato Shrimp

Feedback Score

Not successful with Yamato Shrimp

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Dear members,
    I do not know why I was never successful with yamato shrimps. This is the second time I bought the shrimps and they still die in the 1ft plus tank.
    My tank PH 6.8,KH 3, temp 27'C and consist of only a moss wall and riccia with DIY CO2 and no base fertilizer.
    In the tank also 10 neon, 2 SEA, 3 otos. This is what i did after the purchase.
    1) Leave the bag in the tank for 1/2 an hour to equalize the temperature
    2) Change 1/3 of the water and leave for 15 minutes.
    3) Change another 1/3 of the water and leave for 15 minutes.
    4) Release all the 10 shrimp into the tank.
    The next day, almost 80% of the shrimp died. ( the colour of the body is still the same ). The date before purchase, did a 30% water change also. The rest of the fishes are doing fine. I would apprecaie if someone could advise me. Thanks ! Oh ya..there was nothing in the bag for them to cling on during the transportation..could this be the reason ?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    cld be due to transport shock, but if u immediately brought them back straight home.. very unlikely.. wats yr nitrate level? they r sensitive to high nitrate, dunno about ammonia

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/10/2003 6:18:21 PM

cld be due to transport shock, but if u immediately brought them back straight home.. very unlikely.. wats yr nitrate level? they r sensitive to high nitrate, dunno about ammonia
    ----------------
    Possible, always make sure they have something to cling to during transportation. Like a piece of leave, plants.....
    Cheers and Regards,
    Billy Cheong

I'm not always dumb,
    Just most of the time...

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the reply guys. I got no test kit to test the nitrate and therefore I change 30% of water before I buy. However, I got no problem with Malayan shrimp (fr NA). Is Malayan more hardy than yamato ? The place where I bought the yamato is air-conditioned and the water temp is ard 23-24'C. Maybe the duration to equalize the temperature with my tank is not long enough ?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    IMO, malayan r more hardy.. u cld request they to put in a piece of leave/ sponge/piece of a stemmed plant

Feedback Score
    On this topic, can I also ask from the experts here whether is there any specific water parameters that we have to take note before adding in the yamatoes?

I am currently cycling my tank with a puffer, 2 otos, and 3 pencils. THinking of adding in a few yamatoes. Tank set up for about 1 week plus. Sorry but I has yet to test water parameters.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    they r just sensitive to No3... but since your yamato survived the first few days, then u dun have to worry.. but do check yr NO3 level

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Simon is right, Yamato is quite hardly in the way that if the NO3 is keep in a very low level.
    Side line abit, anyone saw a huge Yamato carrying eggs in Teo 9ft tank???? I though I saw it[]

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 3/10/2003 6:23:03 PM

----------------

----------------
    Possible, always make sure they have something to cling to during transportation. Like a piece of leave, plants.....
    ----------------
    could not be bro..Goodoo
    Cos i bought my yamato at Thompson place(LFS)at morning 11am and bring back to my place (bedok) in the mean time i still loiter around other place(Bugis,katong) till 6pm
    1 pieces cost $1..quite huge(1cm)...
    *inside plastic bag have nothing juz only yamato shrimp!!!

so i think not that problem u mention...!!
    (no offence..)[:]
    <<<Nature(BEDOK AREA)
    Hp:91465830(sms)
    ICQ..(176965177)
    My mail([email protected]>>>

Feedback Score
    bro which LFS at thomson ?
    NATURE?
    wa sey 1 cm leh.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/12/2003 1:57:54 PM

----------------

On 3/10/2003 6:23:03 PM

----------------

----------------

----------------
    could not be bro..Goodoo

Cos i bought my yamato at Thompson place(LFS)at morning 11am and bring back to my place (bedok) in the mean time i still loiter around other place(Bugis,katong) till 6pm

1 pieces cost $1..quite huge(1cm)...

*inside plastic bag have nothing juz only yamato shrimp!!!

so i think not that problem u mention...!!

(no offence..)[:]
    ----------------

1 cm call huge?? .... bet you've never seen bigger ones yet. I have some that are about 2.5 to 3cm long... And those also cost a dollar each... (from C32

Yamatos are sensitive to water changes and also to CO2... I found that without acclimitasation, the shrimsp normally will suffer huge losses and even when properly acclimitised, if there's a high level of CO2 in the tank and there's not enough plants to use up the CO2, the shrimps will suffer...

As for having nothing for the shrimp to cling on, I think that's an extra that can help just a bit... Bring a clean ketapang leave the next time, or ask the LFS to spare a short stalk of plant or a leave or two... most would gladly comply...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr site

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 3/12/2003 7:59:33 PM

bro which LFS at thomson ?
    NATURE?
    wa sey 1 cm leh.

----------------
    hi bro u want to buy..?i also quite new there i juz been there once only cos far lah!!.....if nrext time i going again i try help u to notice wats the name...Btw bro zac say got 2.5-3 cm also selling $1 each....i still wonder buy so big yamato for what purpose..?More bigger is good for yr plant..?
    *anyway no offence
    i have seen b4 big size yamato (on other website )But real haven seen yet![:]
    <<<Nature(BEDOK AREA)
    ICQ..(176965177)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Well... I prefer the bigger ones as they are more stable and they can eat more.... Thus hopefully they can help to keep my algae in check... Malayans are nice, but they are often too small (and thus less able to finish off the high amounts of algae that I get)
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr site

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 3/13/2003 10:27:04 AM

Well... I prefer the bigger ones as they are more stable and they can eat more.... Thus hopefully they can help to keep my algae in check... Malayans are nice, but they are often too small (and thus less able to finish off the high amounts of algae that I get)
    ----------------
    But....the bigger it is may aim yr plant...cos algae tiny...so...(dun know i was right anot)...
    <<<Nature(BEDOK AREA)
    ICQ..(176965177)