Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Planted Tank Hit By White Spot

Planted Tank Hit By White Spot

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys,

My planted tank was badly hit by white spot 5 days ago. I have tried using salt and increase temp to 30 deg but guessed no luck. Now my cardinals are dropping off one by one. The Chocolate Gourami are badly hit too.

May I know how can I get over with this white spot thing?

I intend to add some more cardinals but dunno when will be the safe period? How long I need to wait? How to shorten the waiting time?

Any advise?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi alan

what spot are usually a syptom to unstable tank condition or water quality. it may be good to check the water condition and to ensure that all equipment are working....you mentioned that you used the salt, may i know your dosage? it should be a minimum of 1tbsp to 5 gallons of water.

If you need to switch to med, interpet white spot may be a good choice as it is bio and plant safe..next will be coppersafe. As for the waiting period, i would say about three weeks...I dont think there us anyway to shorten the time......
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Hi David,

I had added 1tbsp to 5 gallons of water for the 1st 3 days and then added 1/2 dose of interpet white spot. However plants are having problem, so I decided to changed water and do nothing. 2 days later they started dying.

Now I am waiting for these white spot thing to get over and add new fish ... sian man!

Lesson Learnt : Never buy fishes from unknown source

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Hi Alan,

You should quarantine you new fishes before adding them into you main tank.
    I usually keep them in quarantine for 2 weeks to make sure.
    After that add main tank water, 1:1 ratio for 1 hour before transfer.
    So far very good.
    thomas liew

Hi tawauboy,

Thanks for your advise. I will do that next round.
    Roughly when can I add fish again?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    aiyooo
    the worst thing you can do is mix and match different kinds of treatment
    first point you must understand
    you will NEVER see an immediate improvement with ich
    nothing you add to the water can kill off the ich without killing off the fish first
    what all the meds do is to simply kill off the ich WHEN they leave the body of the ich, ie when the white spots disappear

salt is tried and tested, confirm + guarantee works
    just add it, and don't change anything else
    when all the white spots are gone, keep up the dosage for another one week to be sure
    it's a bit cold now, so the life cycle could be longer than a few days, so i'd dose for 1 1/2 wks to be totally sure the ich is gone

as for adding new fish, things to consider are the bioload as well as disease
    generally, fish from reputable sources shouldn't have diseases
    just add in reasonable numbers
    60 at one shot is a no no

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi alan

as what DEA has mentioned....think 3 days is really not enough to see result as you cannot knock ick off when they are attached to the fish...it is during the free swimming stage that the salt works.....the time process would have been about 14 to 21 days......

With salt along at 1tbsp to 5 gallons of water usually do not kill plants......incidentally what plants have you planted in your tank?
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Hi DEA David,

Thanks for the advise. I was stupid to follow what someone else mentioned in another forum.

Lesson Learnt : Never mix salt with medication treatment. Complication is the word.

Btw I'm not going to add fish so soon, understand that if these white spot don't clear... I put what .. die what.[] []

Sorry if I sounded as if I want to put in a bag of cardinals tomolo. Hahaha...I don't want to murder them OK.

1tbsp is 1 table spoon not tea spoon hor?

My plants in the tanks can be viewed under my homepage. Take a look and give me further advise.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

Last time my fishes got white spot, I used malachite green on them. The plants weren't harmed, and the fishes were cured after only a few days.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled" - Richard Feynman, 1986. Rogers commission into the Challenger disaster

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    actually, if your salt dosage is there, adding new fish is perfectly fine, as there is no way for the infection to spread
    1 tbsp is tablespoon, 15ml equivalent
    for chilodonella i used 3 tbsp per 5 gallons, no problems with plants, cories or other fish
    however, you have a thick carpet of glosso, which i can't speak for, but i think 1 tbsp per 5 gallons should be fine with it, it's the triple dose that's more worrying

most definitely ammania gracilis, from the sheer size of the plant
    your foreground could do with a bit of variety, maybe some short solitary plants or blyxa japonica
    you're using the egeria densa to hide the filter? it's a little dark in that corner, they might not grow so well

Hi DEA,

Is not egeria densa but eusteralis stellata (the easy broader leaves type).
    It was red but now they are turning green maybe due to lack of light.

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Well for me the best medication is by adding salt first as what DEA had previous advise me but just wonder will there be a problem if added too much salt.