Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need help on Pleco!

Feedback Score

Need help on Pleco!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi! I'm new in keeping plecos and I have myself now 6 plecos. But now I have some questions. I hope you guys can really help me out.
    1)I have 2 logs in my tank and it's filled with algae but I've never seen them eating it.
    2)Would I know if my pleco are not eating?(Tell tale sign)
    3)I bought some pleco food(algae tablet), how often should I feed them and how many a time?
    I really hope to learn more information from all of you guys. Please tell me more on what I should and should not do.
    Thanks a million!!!

Feedback Score
    Anyone? Please help...

I'm also quite new at pleco eating.
    But here are some that I can think of

- What L number plecos are you keeping? Some are not good algae eaters but are omnivorous or eats meat
    - You can try feeding them sliced cucumber. There is a easy way to feed them cucumber, just do a search in the forum or DIY section
    - Not too sure what kind of algae is on your driftwood, but most likely it's bba and they don't really eat that. Not much fish eat bba

Good luck!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/12/2003 12:01:30 AM

Hi! I'm new in keeping plecos and I have myself now 6 plecos. But now I have some questions. I hope you guys can really help me out.
    1)I have 2 logs in my tank and it's filled with algae but I've never seen them eating it.
    2)Would I know if my pleco are not eating?(Tell tale sign)
    3)I bought some pleco food(algae tablet), how often should I feed them and how many a time?
    I really hope to learn more information from all of you guys. Please tell me more on what I should and should not do.
    Thanks a million!!!
    ----------------
    Hi andygan,
    1 - there are 3 types of pleco namely : Carni., Omni. and vege. The 6 pcs that you have bought could be carni or omni. Check out their L id and requirement from planetcatfish website.
    2 - if there are alot of left over food at the bottom then it's an indication they're not eating !. Most catfish particularly loricariidae or plecos are armed with sensory glands over all it's body, the sensory glands help the pleco to locate food in the dark, it is so effective that the moment food hit the water, they are already able to zero in on the location.
    3 - I have quite a collection of plecos hence I usually feed them with a wide selection / mixture of foods like fresh vege., hikari algae wafers, minced ox-heart, blood worms, carni. sinking pellets and bio-food ( can buy this from Sam Yick ). Feeding is on alternate day, this ensure no food wastage and most importantly maintain the water parameter. Cheers []

Safe Diving !
    akoh
    Safe Diving !
    Seeking for the Ultimate Diving Adventure !
    - Sipadan, Similan Islands, Burma Banks, Palau, PNG, Raja Empat ( planning for June 08 )

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Haha the master is talking.....Andy and Vican, please ID your pleco and we will have a better picture. Furthermore, most pleco active at night.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Kun, if you have time over this weekend, check out the L081 gold nugget at QH Q area, noticed some have very very dots ! quite nice ! []

Safe Diving !
    akoh
    Safe Diving !
    - Sipadan, Similan Islands, Burma Banks, Palau, PNG, Raja Empat ( planning for June 08 )

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Issssssssss....it???? Ok I will go down later..[]

Feedback Score
    got any pleco pic..?[:]
    <<<Nature(BEDOK AREA)
    Hp:91465830(sms)
    ICQ..(176965177)
    My mail([email protected]>>>

----------------
    On 3/12/2003 10:46:56 AM

Haha the master is talking.....Andy and Vican, please ID your pleco and we will have a better picture. Furthermore, most pleco active at night.
    ----------------
    So far, I only have a snowball in my 5' planted tank. It has been eating the algae on the glass and sucking on the driftwood. Not too sure if it feeds on the bloodworms I put in also.

Feedback Score
    Hi! Thanks a lot a lot.
    I'm not really sure about the "L" number of my plecos.
    Anyway, I think I have
    A) 2 gold nugget(black body and yellow spots with yellow colour at the end of it's fins)--L018/L085/L081/L177???
    B) 1 Opal Spot pleco ( black body and big white spots)--- L082???
    C) 1 Lemon Spotted Green Pleco(green body with small yellow spots)---L200???
    D) 1 Royal Pleco(gray body with black strips)---L???
    E) 1 Don't know what Pleco ( Green body with yellow spots and also yellow fins)---L???

That's all I know abt my Plecos. Not sure abt the L numbers.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    A) 2 gold nugget(black body and yellow spots with yellow colour at the end of it's fins)--L018/L085/L081/L177???
    B) 1 Opal Spot pleco ( black body and big white spots)--- L082???
    C) 1 Lemon Spotted Green Pleco(green body with small yellow spots)---L200???
    D) 1 Royal Pleco(gray body with black strips)---L???
    E) 1 Don't know what Pleco ( Green body with yellow spots and also yellow fins)---L???

----------------
    Hi andygan, not bad ! spot on A B C !
    B) could be LDA033, L248 or L082
    D) could be L27 series
    E) think the description fit L047 magnum.
    It will be earlier to id them if you got pictures. Cheers !
    []

Safe Diving !
    akoh
    Safe Diving !

Feedback Score
    Hi! Akoh,I'm think I'm going crazy liao. I just bought 2 more pleco again.
    1) L???---(black body with white strips and vertical strips on the head)

2) L???---(Brownish body with golden strips)-look like tiger strips.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    I'm think I'm going crazy liao. I just bought 2 more pleco again.
    1) L???---(black body with white strips and vertical strips on the head)

2) L???---(Brownish body with golden strips)-look like tiger strips.
    ----------------
    andygan ! that happened to me 7 yrs ago ! [] []. Think no: 1 is L204 Flash Pleco from Peru and no: 2 is L002 Tiger Pleco from Brazil, hope the id is correct, Cheers ! []

Safe Diving !
    akoh
    Safe Diving !

WooHoo, glad to see a new pleco fan here!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Allen, 7 years of pleco-keeping/collecting? Whoa![:0]

Er... the (E) has spots. L047's spots are not very distinctive, are they? My first thoughts were on L14a...[:]

Well, I've been out of touch though.
    P-L-E-C-O-R-Y=M-A-N-I-A!!! YEAH!
    FLORENCE, capital of the region of Tuscany, has a population of around half a million inhabitants, spreads on the banks of the Arno, between the Adriatic and the Tyrrhenian seas, almost in the middle of the Italian peninsula. It is a city which bustles with industry and craft, commerce and culture, art and science.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    Allen, 7 years of pleco-keeping/collecting? Whoa![:0]

Er... the (E) has spots. L047's spots are not very distinctive, are they? My first thoughts were on L14a...[:]

Well, I've been out of touch though.
    ----------------
    Yah ! Flor ! abt 7 yrs ! adult L046 used to be only 30 to 35 bucks !, Gold Nuggets, L134, Royal Panaque and some other L series are below 30 bucks !.
    Some L047 magnum do have very light yellowish spots on its body. My initial thought was also L14a but his description : green body with yellow spots and yellow fins ! doesn't fit Goldie ! anyway will do good if he can post a picture ! .
    I was at Gan yesterday and MAN ! PLENTY OF PLECOS lah ! ( the usual ones like L200, LDA033, L177, Adonis, butterfly, Leopard, Royal Panaque, Common Twig, Tiger, L025 etc. Check it out ! []

Safe Diving !
    akoh
    Safe Diving !

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Haha Allen, my hand start to itch when I saw those pleco that why have to keep myself from going to GAN and QH.[] []

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    my hand start to itch when I saw those pleco that why have to keep myself from going to GAN and QH.[] []
    ----------------
    I'm worst ! I can't sleep if I don't get may hands on those plecos ! coz' each time I close my eyes ! images of them appear !. So the only cure is buy them lor !!! [] [] []

Safe Diving !
    akoh
    Safe Diving !

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Allen, I've to keep away from Gan's for now cos I know I 100% won't walk away empty-handed, but definitely empty-wallet.[]

Have not been able to keep my 100% concentration on my tanks lately, saw casualties consisting of 3 Corydoras pandas and 2 L046. Should not be adding anymore new fish until I'm sure everything's ok.

Allen, I saw Urbanjungleman's thread on the Aqualog stuff, too late. I need to get the Aqualog Supplment #13 too. Any chance of contacting him? I tried to tongpang Benny, but I think UJM's not reading his PM here.

Cheers!
    P-L-E-C-O-R-Y=M-A-N-I-A!!! YEAH!
    FLORENCE, capital of the region of Tuscany, has a population of around half a million inhabitants, spreads on the banks of the Arno, between the Adriatic and the Tyrrhenian seas, almost in the middle of the Italian peninsula. It is a city which bustles with industry and craft, commerce and culture, art and science.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    Have not been able to keep my 100% concentration on my tanks lately, saw casualties consisting of 3 Corydoras pandas and 2 L046. Should not be adding anymore new fish until I'm sure everything's ok.

Allen, I saw Urbanjungleman's thread on the Aqualog stuff, too late. I need to get the Aqualog Supplment #13 too. Any chance of contacting him? I tried to tongpang Benny, but I think UJM's not reading his PM here.
    ---------------
    Flor ! sorry to hear your loss especially the L046 ! . Yah ! better make sure water parameter/condition is ok ! .
    UJM is my pleco buddy, I'll check with him to see whether is is too late to tongpang. Cheers !

Safe Diving !
    akoh
    Safe Diving !

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast