Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Don't take more than you can handle.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Don't take more than you can handle.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I am pretty neutral when it comes to conservation and protection of wild animals. I feel as long as the animal is in good hands I'm ok with it. But this act of cruelty got me thinking of the actions of our fellow hobbyist. I was surfing another fish website when I saw a thread about 2 people who were cast fishing in the north area. In total, they caught 114 tilapia which they arranged rank and file on the pavement, took a picture and left them there to rot in the hot sun. I am a non practising buddhist but I believe in Karma. Those 2 guys are in alot of trouble.
    I have a friend who actively collects fish and plants from the wild. He has a principle that he will only bring back as much as he is confident that they will arrive alive. 'One fish alive in my tank better than 10 dead fish in the bottle'. He has wittnessed fellow hobbyist cramming as much as they can just to dump everything in the rubbish after a total loss. They also have no place to house them when they manage to bring them back alive. So do think about it next time you haul something out of the water.
    Suckerfish no eat poo poo.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Don't take more than you can handle.

The other thing which puzzles me is why some anglers discard the fish they don't want onto the ground and not back into the water. I have seen puffers being thrown this way at Bedok Jetty. The problem is whether they will kick up a fuss if I should kick or pick up the fish and throw it back into the water.

Also keeping real tiny fishes which begs the question, "Can they even be eaten?"

I have noticed a real difference from more than 10 years ago when I see real big fishes being caught whenever I was there. Now it is usually the kuning or other tiny fishes.

I think the practice of Catch and Release or limits on size and numbers should be encouraged.