Country
    Singapore

Water Change and Salt

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

Every week I will remove about a pail of water from the tank and another pail will just evaporate. Then I always add about 2 tablespoon of aquarium salt to each pail when adding back the 2 pails of water.

The question is:

Will my tank ever become too high in salt content and cause all my flora and fauna to die?? Or will it be used by the fauna?

Cheers.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Water Change and Salt

Hi Franz. Your floras will NOT go well with salt. Having too much salt will alter the PH stability of your water. And yes even though its okay to put use salt in the aquarium, i wouldnt recommend it unless your faunas are unwell and require treatment. You mentioned that you only remove one pail of water and replace with two pails of " salt " water, the salt content in your tank will consistently build up. ( Since salt is ONLY able to be removed by draining away the water in the tank, and does not evaporate. ) This will be harmful to your faunas if the salt content is overbearing in time to come.

I dont think your faunas will use the salt. Salt in the water is just to assist better " breathing " and possibly sterilizing the aquarium from what i know.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Franz View Post
    Hi,

Every week I will remove about a pail of water from the tank and another pail will just evaporate. Then I always add about 2 tablespoon of aquarium salt to each pail when adding back the 2 pails of water.

The question is:

Will my tank ever become too high in salt content and cause all my flora and fauna to die?? Or will it be used by the fauna?

Cheers.
    Only water evaporates while the salt is left behind. So you should add salt only to replace those that you have removed for the water change.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Just wondering...

What the reason to add salt to a planted tank?

Care to advice?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi, I'm currently keeping a freshwater tank. I usually add 1 tsp of aquarium salt to every 5 gallons of water. Only do so during water changes, not topping up. A little salt in the water will go a long way in preventing bacterial and fungal infections, also reduces the risk of white spot significantly.

I do so since my fish are scaleless (Fire eels and so, are more susceptible to bacterial and fungal infections)
    Cheers,
    Bernard
    Kept (no more ) Betta persephone, B. miniopinna, B. sp. palangkaraya, B. uberis, B. channoides, B. burdigala
    Pseudepiplatys annulatus, Nannostomus eques

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Bros,

I have read from some thread, saying that add salt will actually help and cure the white spot disease on the fish. Any advice ? my cardinal gots lots of white spot

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

The Salt is to keep the bacterial at bay...