Country
    Singapore

Thumbs down Tiny worms in tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi everyone,

One of my tanks has these tiny worms swimming around. They don't appear when the light is on, I only get to observe their existence when I on the light in the middle of the night.

They are very thin maybe like 0.1mm, longest can go to 10mm. What are they? Tried taking photo but too tiny to have a good shot. How can I remove them? Add fish? This tank only has some shrimps in it.

Hope someone can help. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Tiny worms in tank

may be you can add in 1 or 2 community fish to get rid of the swimming worm

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

i have these in my tanks too.. i tried boraras but it doesnt seems to fix the issue. alternative is try sucking them out

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

What about neon tetra? Thinking of adding them in my tank but wonder if they will eat the worms...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Endlers and corys will eat them. These worms appear if you overfeed.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Endlers and corys friendly to CRS? Shall monitor the feeding pattern. Thanks for the info.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

try using tiger barbs. they feed on those white worms.

alternatively, u can add in more salt, which will kill the worms. however those are just ways of removing the worms. In the long run it is better for you to get to the root of the problem. which is due to over feeding. check for blind spots whereby excess food might get trap.

on top of that, do wash and change a new wool for your filter (that is where the worms eggs are located)

cheers

Feedback Score
    Country
    Canada

control your feeding, change your water a lil more frequently for now worms should start to reduce. over feeding and left over food/waste encourage worms to grow.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Yup, I already reduce the food amount and also had thrown in 2 treta for few days to eat those worms. Now already reduce a lot! Thanks for all the advises!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

For my knowledge , correct me if i'm wrong ...

If i aint wrong , this are call thread worms ... i guess the best to clear them all are guppies ... But one thing for sure is that these worms wont harm any shrimps in your tank ... they just feed on excess food .... they are very good in clearing all the dead as well .... so to me these so called pest somehow helps me alot ... remember that all fishes are harmful to your srimps , if shrimps and fishes togather = no offsprings .... wahahaha ...

To be frank , i have LOTS of them in my Cherry Red Shrimps Breeding Tank .... wahaha ...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

sorry, newbie here...how would over feeding generate these worms? I feed my fishes twice a day (morning/night), is it over feeding?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by TED View Post
    sorry, newbie here...how would over feeding generate these worms? I feed my fishes twice a day (morning/night), is it over feeding?
    as long as your fishes finish the food in few minutes no issue.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

do not overfeed, clear any unfinished food after an hour or so. this should help to solve the problem. other alternatives are commecial medicine like vermex which is available in most lfs.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

These threadlike creatures should be nematodes... I had thousands of them in my CRS and RCS tanks and they were floating in the water and wriggling all over the plants cos the soil was overcrowded with them. Got some young SAEs (Not CAE or GAE!) and they immediately went on an eating spree.
    Corydoras - Sterbai, Leopard, Bronze, Albino, Pepper, Similis, Pygmaeus, Habrosus, Hastatus, Tail-Spot
    Loaches - Clown, Red-Tailed Squirrel, Yoyo, Zodiac, Crimson, Banded/Spotted Kuhli, Zebra, Blue Botia, Kubotai
    Others - L181, C/S/GAEs, Otos, Dwarf/Thai/Honey Gouramis, Spotted/Smiling Cat, Shark Cat, Percula Clown (SW), Cinnamon Anemonefish (SW)...
    Happy Shrimps - CRS, Sakura/RCS, Malayan, Yamato, Green Shrimps, Dancing Shrimp (SW)