Images
    Country
    England

Rhinogobius photos

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I'm a big lover of gobies and have several different types (stiphodon,rhinogobius,schismatogobius,lentipes), theres a store here in England that has some rare Rhinogobius in stock, they offer a mail order service and I'd really like to order some. The only problem is that they cannot supply me with a photo of any, I've had a look on the web with little luck of certain matches of the species they have for sale.

So I'd just like to ask if any one could supply me with photos of the gobies on offer, they are -

R. candidianus (think I've seen correct photos of these)
    R. gigas
    R. nagoyae formosanus

I would like to buy a small group of each but it would cost too much so a few pics would help me choose the best 1 or 2.

Cheers in advance
    Steven

Feedback Score
    Country
    England

Re: Rhinogobius photos

Hi Steven all three are viewable on Fishbase but I have no idea how accurately-identified the images are. Very nice fish all; are they expensive then? I'm a big goby lover too so would love to have a go at some of those. My favourite that I've kept is a funny-looking bugger; Oxuderces dentatus. Pic credit: themudskipper.org.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

in Singapore most people love gobies

sorry, just to live up the morning
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England

Matt thats a seriously weird looking goby. Thats the problem knowing if the identification is correct, they are quite expensive, £10 each for R. gigas and R. nagoyae formosanus and the one I'd most like R. candidianus is just under £17 each! I always try and convince my self that this is a inexpensive hobby but it seems to be true. I'll probably order some early next week when I decide what I want. I'll post some pics too.
    Steven

Feedback Score
    Country
    England

Which one is it you eat HW? Oxyeleotris?

Yup the O. dentatus is one weird-looking fish. We got a single specimen sent over as a sample and I kept it in with my mudskippers. It built a whole network of tunnels in the sand with different entrance holes; very interesting to watch. Looking forward to hearing about your Rhinogobius!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England

Well I finally got round to placing a order for the Rhinogobius, unfortunatly the shop had sold out of the R. candidianus, so I could only get the other two.

They arrived yesterday and I'm really pleased with them so here are a few pics, I'll get some better ones in time.

First R. gigas

Good to know if this is R. gigas, looks like it could be R. brunneus or even R. candidianus.

And here is R. nagoyae formosanus

Steven

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Ford View Post
    Which one is it you eat HW? Oxyeleotris?
    yes O. marmoratus very very delicious deep fried or steamed
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    England

Wow the gigas are beautiful. Can't help with definitive id though sorry Steven.

Mmm, goby and chips!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Good finds! Nicely taken photos too! Do you have a full tank shot?
    One common behaviour of Rhinogobius is the burrowing under a rock - which is apparent in your photos posted too!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England

Although gobies and chips sounds interesting I dont think I'll try it with mine.

Avant, I've not seen to much burrowing as of yet, but I'll expect it to happen soon, there are lots of little cracks and caves for the gobies to call home, here is a photo of the tank they are living in.

I don't know if adding some plant life would be a good idea or not, I was thinking of some Aponogeton boivinianus or some vallis in the right rear corner, any thoughs?

I'm hoping to set up another tank when money and space allows, so I can house the 2 species seperatly.

I also believe that the species sold as R. gigas is actually R. candidianus, which I'm quite pleased about as theres were the most expensive of the 3 the shop had.
    Steven

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

That's a fine looking tank. I didn't know it was the same one that you posted in the other thread. Just a thought - won't the heavy rocks leaning on the glass walls pose a potential issue?

Some plants at the corner will be nice to add some greenery to the tank but I'd say it's looking very unique as it is now

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England

I made the rocks myself out of polystyrene and covered them with a cement mix to give them a rock like finnish. It's the first time I've tried it and I'm quite pleased with the outcome allthough there not as smooth as I'd like. I'll be trying it again on another tank soon.
    Steven

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

It was a job very well done! Please document the steps next time you try this again