Country
    Singapore

Urgent help need on Mac Fry

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Bro,

I need some urgent help. To cut my long story short, i had purchase some Mac fry during the aquarama last Sat. Everything was fine and mt fry wa swimming happily new their new home.

I would take a point to check all of them before i left for work and after i come home.

This morning before i left everything was fine with no physical injury, to my horror when i reach home this evening 1 of the fry seen to have either the tail and body bitten or some kind of diease which look like fin rot. i had inpect all my other fry all of the rest are ok with 1 other have a little of either bite or fin rot on the tail.

I had taken the fry with more serious injury out on a sperate tank with dark water and a little yellow powder in it.

Not sure what do to next i seek help from bros /gurus on what to do next. I really hope they will be ok and none of them to die so if problem have any good advice please advice.

Thank to all bro who had given me advice in advance!
    Good Judgement is gain from Experiences, while Experiences is gain from Bad Judgement Made!

Don't Give Up Keep Trying!!
    Nature Beauty

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England

Re: Urgent help need on Mac Fry

What pH have you got these fish in? Are they in blackwater? What pH did the seller raise them in?
    Currently keeping many wild betta species and other anabantoids.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yes they are in back water. i have added super peat from sera into it ph is about 5.5 they are farm bred as account to the seller. ph of source unknown
    Good Judgement is gain from Experiences, while Experiences is gain from Bad Judgement Made!

Nature Beauty

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England

Dude, with fishes such as macrostoma its very important you find out the water they have been kept in. They may have come from a higher or lower pH and the shock will cause their fins to clamp and 'tear' and then fungas.
    The best advice i can give you now is to make sure the water stays clean. Reduce stress, do not keep with other fishes if doing so (if you are keeping them with other fish, i'd remove the other fish rather than the macs to limit stress). as this will add further stress.
    Keep hands out of the tank, low lights, lots of cover. Do you have any pictures? It may clear up on its own, but if it gets so bad you may have to start treating.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thank Bro,

I set a new tank Just for them hence it a Mac only tank. The tank had plently of cover and floating plants in it.

Learn my lesson as I had ask the seller on the PH where it preiously was rear in but he fail to give me an answer but i still when ahead with the purchase.

Will monitor closely on the rest

Nature Beauty

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by nature beauty View Post
    Thank Bro,

I set a new tank Just for them hence it a Mac only tank. The tank had plently of cover and floating plants in it.

Learn my lesson as I had ask the seller on the PH where it preiously was rear in but he fail to give me an answer but i still when ahead with the purchase.

Will monitor closely on the rest
    Hi...I also bought 10 macs during Aquarama, and yesterday noticed that some had beginnings of fin-rot, clamp fin and some white spots on the caudal. I put all of them in yellow power treatment at the moment.

The seller does know the original water conditions (ph) as these are purchased by Betta club for sale at aquarama, from re-sellers in another country...so water parametes are all rojak already. I was told that all the macs came from 4 batches of mac spawns....and all mixed together.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England

Is the tank cycled? They should be in a mature system only, not a fish to cycle a tank with!
    The cause of this is obviously stressed. I suggest dim lights, good quality food, and make sure there is plenty of cover for them to hide in and the water is well filtered but without strong flow.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Looks like nightmare to get the fry.Seems like adult pair respond better to new environment,anyone with experience with juvenile(3-5cm).
    Love all,Trust few,Do wrong to none

Feedback Score
    Country
    Brunei

Quote Originally Posted by mictok View Post
    Looks like nightmare to get the fry.Seems like adult pair respond better to new environment,anyone with experience with juvenile(3-5cm).
    I keep mac juveniles for few months now, when i bought them, some of them was about 1.5 - 2 cm and some are larger. So far they are ok. What i did, i make sure their pH are consistent when i do water change. When feeding, sometimes i make them starve for one or two days. I only feed them twice a day, with BBS and 'crushed' tetrabits.

I hope that can help. Mine was tank breed by the seller and they are F1. So i hope that can help.

About water parameter, i use RO water mixed with tap water, pH down with Sera