Country
    Singapore

growing tennellus

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

would like some advice on growing tennellus. Got some tennellus from Teo's about 1.5 weeks ago. split half with a fren of mine. His is growing fine now but mine is not growing at all. no new shoots and the remaining stalks are starting to turn brown.

I'm puzzled to my lack of success. What's missing? I'm running 2x36W PL with cyclinder co2 on a 2.5 ft juwel tank. my glosso is growing just fine and spreading all over my lawn but the tennellus is simply not growing. I was under the impression that tennellus is a very easy to grow plant...
    Cheers
    Boon Yong

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    one good method to help kick start E. tenellus is to trim the emersed leaves off after a few days.. perharps u can try again

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    how did u grow it? I cut the broader part of the leaves away before planting, within days the submerged leaves will grow and it should start 'running' pretty soon. Are the browned leaves the emerse leave hat u did not trim away?

another way is like what simon mentioned.

I have a 1.5ft tank thick with Tenullus using just 2 x 9W PL.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    actually Teo had already trimmed the emersed leaves for me before I planted them. don't think that's the issue...
    Cheers
    Boon Yong

Feedback Score
    what is the base fert you use?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    dun know what base fert I used. when I first started, my fren brought me to Rainbow to buy the essentials. basically complete newbie then, so didn't know what base fert I used. my tank is now about 1 year old, so don't think base fert is exhausted yet. supplementing with JBL ferrotabs and TMG.

I'm suspecting that maybe, just a maybe, that the area of that particular substrate has gone anerobic. have tried planting hairgrass in that same area and it didn't take off either. strangely though, my glosso is so happy creeping over the area which I had earmarked for my tennellus. is it becos glosso is not so deep rooted and therefore not as affected if it is indeed anerobic?
    Cheers
    Boon Yong

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    cby,
    I used to have problem growing hair grass at the feeding ground. By chance, 1 week ago, I managed to get over it. What I did was shifting the filter output that happened to face the feeding ground. Now, I can see a big different, I could detect the spreading everyday.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    thanks. will experiment with the filter output.
    Cheers
    Boon Yong

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ok, now I noticed that my tennellus are indeed growing but in a strange way. the new shoots are almost completely reddish/brownish. Due to the reddish/brownish colour, I actually thought they were the dying stalks of the emersed leaves. Apparently not, cos I saw some new runners with the same reddish leaves.

Is this normal, the reddish colour? is this a sign of too much or too light lights or other causes? I thought submersed tennellus is mostly greenish rather than reddish.

TIA
    Cheers
    Boon Yong

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Tenellus should be an easy-to-grow plant (at least tat's what i read before i added them into my cory tank, 1.5W/gal).

U may wanna try some root monsters (horti jobe will probably work too). My tenellus perked up within 2 days once i popped in a few broken pieces near my tenellus patch (tot that using 1 whole piece is a bit of an overkill).
    ThEoDoRe

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    its quite normal... I got the same effect from my tennallus. Basically its a light issue... the shaded tenallus would be green, and the ones in the open where brownish/red. I didn't particularly like the color though, so I eventually replaced my tenallus with Elatine.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    thanks Allen! this has really greatly comforted me. thought I was unable to grow it at all. hee hee...
    Cheers
    Boon Yong

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    In no time, they will turn into weed and start overtaking the whole tank.[]

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yes, and when u try to pull one out, you might unknowingly pull many others out as well
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    tenellus is not difficult to remove.... however you'll be suprised how much tenellus you removing by jus pulling a few stalks, you'll end up having a whole bunch in your hands.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yes, i was trying to thin out my tenullus in my office tank.. and guess what.. my whole carpet of glosso came off as well!
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功