Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Parasite. How to kill them ?

Parasite. How to kill them ?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    There are visible worms or parasite growing only on my Ram which are kept in a planted tank. Can anyone teach me how to kill them? I can't add salt because of the plants. What can I do? Can I reduce the ph down to lower than, maybe 5, to kill those parasite? Please help.

Thanks!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    white worms growing on the scales, sometimes in a blister?
    try coppersafe from mardel
    safe for plants and fish, and is supposed to cure the thing encountered above
    alternatively you can try blasting salt to 3tbsp per 20l, but the delicate plants might not take it
    most plants can tolerate 1tbsp per 20l

Thanks. Will try that out this weekend.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    err .. I took out my RAM and use a tissue to rub away the parasites...
    My RAM still seems to be ok.

Weird, I had a few incidents of friends buying RAMs back and they too had these parasites on their fins... Are this fish very prone to parasites attack?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Often, things come in groups.... so I'm not surprised... we've just gone through a spate of white spot issues... before this there were internal worm issues... So I'm not surprised if this is the next problem. Likely most Rams came from the same source originally which might explain why they all get the same problems.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Hi
    In most cases of infected/sickly fish (if it is not huge in size) it is best to separate it from the rest fo the healthy pack and proper treatment be done in a "hospital" tank.

It is best that all new fishes be qurantined properly for stage often will marked the beginnings of days of worries (esp when fishes gets white spot, cotton wool etc etc)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/20/2003 5:47:28 PM

In most cases of infected/sickly fish (if it is not huge in size) it is best to separate it from the rest fo the healthy pack
    that's a good theory
    but in practice catching the fish and removing him will often accelerate it's demise

the white worms on the body are a very old problem
    i last encountered it 1 yr ago
    very irritating
    not really fatal, but very much an eyesore

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I too have those parasites on my emperors. Separated them into a hospital tank and dosed coppersafe from Ocean Free. Dun seemed to be very effective. Those parasites still around after a week. In the end, those emperors went to fish heaven because with the medication, they dun seemed to be eating. Seeing them growing weaker by the day makes me sad, especially when they have grown so big.

I dun have much luck treating sick fishes. Usually they die after a week or two .

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

see the thing in the centre of the pic?
    is that what you're talking about?

Yes, that's the one. I tried using copper safe but they are still there. I guess I'll let them grow since they are only attacking on Ram and not other fishes.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    they'll eventually cross the species barrier if left untreated
    i think the coppersafe stops the reproduction, so they'll eventually die off