Country
    Singapore

Problem wif Discus Breeding~

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Dear AQist,

My discus breed for the 2nd time in my heavily planted tank, I saw the female lay pinkish eggs 2 at a time on the amazon sword plant, but the male & female eat it after few second. This are the things I done, 1) I leave the lights on, 2) watch them in a distant.

Aft seeing them eating their eggs, I off the lights and cover wif a tower.

I like to know why they are eating the eggs..
    Don't bother if its Black cats or White cats, so long as it can catch Rats. Its a Good Cat.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/17/2003 10:30:34 PM

Dear AQist,

My discus breed for the 2nd time in my heavily planted tank, I saw the female lay pinkish eggs 2 at a time on the amazon sword plant, but the male & female eat it after few second. This are the things I done, 1) I leave the lights on, 2) watch them in a distant.

Aft seeing them eating their eggs, I off the lights and cover wif a tower.

I like to know why they are eating the eggs..
    ----------------
    as far as I had read, parents eats the eggs when:
    1) bad eggs
    2) unable to protect the eggs
    Cheers and Regards,
    Billy Cheong

I'm not always dumb,
    Just most of the time...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thks,

But I saw frm a mag tat the eggs are abit of translucent or transparent.. not like wat my discus had, pinkish.. so I presume pinkish eggs are bad?
    Don't bother if its Black cats or White cats, so long as it can catch Rats. Its a Good Cat.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    well, i nv had discus b4, but was thinking into it. So read some notes on it..
    Cheers and Regards,
    Billy Cheong

I'm not always dumb,
    Just most of the time...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hmm,

Frm my experience of 2 yrs only. Discus is not as hard as ppl always say, I been transfering my discus lots of times, thru lots of hardship, dirty water but aft I finish my tank. I usually give them frequent water change as many as 3 times per week.

Just on the lights and saw abt 30++ pinkish eggs on the amazon sword. Now covering the tank with cloths for 2-3 days, hopefully they won't eat it anymore.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/17/2003 11:32:24 PM

Thks,

But I saw frm a mag tat the eggs are abit of translucent or transparent.. not like wat my discus had, pinkish.. so I presume pinkish eggs are bad?
    ----------------
    IMO, pinkish eggs should be considered as good eggs as they are most probably being fertilized. Only eggs that are white is bad, as it is infected with fungus.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    Hi TTL,

If you check my posting in 'planted tank forum' my Discus too breed in my planted tanks and I just had my 2nd brood on the 20/03/2003 !!

From my experience and my individual opinion, my 1st pair spwans their eggs onto the bag of the diftwood. I could tell how much eggs there is but when I peek at the eggs with an immerse mirror I do recognise some totalt while eggs. To note please check with your water condition if they are similair with mine (need you to pm me if you're interested) if not it will get too lengthy, as mine lasted about 54 hours before they were born.

End Result after 5 months plus. Baby fish between 3 - 5 inches, and only 7 survive the whole ordeal.

The male has started to mate with another female recently and I'll wait and see the result.

Bottom Line...as an individual opinion, I do not switch off the lights. In the day the normal HQI is on and in the nite, I left the PL lights on till the fry hatches. No water changes until the fry atre attached to their parents.

Do not change the daily routine and the extras are me feeding the rest of the fishes with extra food each meal to keep them away from the eggs. Though I still loss some eggs to the cardinals.

Hope it helps

Cheers