Advertisements
Green Chapter Banner East Ocean Aquatic Banner Fishy Business Banner
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: My simple sulawesi shrimps setup

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    27
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    9
    Country
    Singapore

    My simple sulawesi shrimps setup

    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

    Subquaria

    Sera
    I'm very new in shrimps and was captivated by the beauty of sulawesi shrimps and thus decided to start a shrimps tank.....
    This is my 1st attempt to keep sulawesi shrimps...... and have gotten some sulaiwesi shrimps in the tank for about a week...... my simple setup as below....

    btw, are sulawesi shrimps very shy ? as after the 1st day, all the shrimps now hide around the plants... seldom see them coming near to the rocks...... any expert advise on how to make shrimps explore out more frequently ? Thanks....

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    34
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    1
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: My simple sulawesi shrimps setup

    Quote Originally Posted by NewInShrimps View Post
    I'm very new in shrimps and was captivated by the beauty of sulawesi shrimps and thus decided to start a shrimps tank.....
    This is my 1st attempt to keep sulawesi shrimps...... and have gotten some sulaiwesi shrimps in the tank for about a week...... my simple setup as below....

    btw, are sulawesi shrimps very shy ? as after the 1st day, all the shrimps now hide around the plants... seldom see them coming near to the rocks...... any expert advise on how to make shrimps explore out more frequently ? Thanks....
    Wow, very nice setup you have there! I am new to this too, but my shrimp has settled in my tank for more than a month now. In my humble opinion, To keep and breed sulawesi shrimp successfully, you need to be pretty good with the water parameters and to have a very stable and optimal conditions for the shrimp. From what I saw, your setup looks right (gravel bottom and volcano lava rocks). WHat is the pH and GH of your tank? It is important to have pH above 7, better at around 7.5. Therefore, no C02 and not so much plants. The nitrate level need to be low. These shrimps are more sensitive to everything than the others.
    Well as to trying to get them to come out more, they are very shy species and they seem to have very good eyes sight and are very cautious of our presence. Try to reduce the light a bit and don't stick your head directly (too close) near the glass. It usually takes some time before they will come out to feed openly. Also, if you have a group of them, they tend to be not as scared! Good luck with your shrimps! And post more photos!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    34
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    1
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: My simple sulawesi shrimps setup

    Sorry, I forgot to mention, they need lots of O2 so, put an air-stone in if you haven't already done so!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bukit Batok/West
    Posts
    374
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: My simple sulawesi shrimps setup

    omg my hand itchy already,feel like setting up one but need more knowledge first.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    27
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    9
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: My simple sulawesi shrimps setup

    Quote Originally Posted by fla04gbf View Post
    Wow, very nice setup you have there! I am new to this too, but my shrimp has settled in my tank for more than a month now. In my humble opinion, To keep and breed sulawesi shrimp successfully, you need to be pretty good with the water parameters and to have a very stable and optimal conditions for the shrimp. From what I saw, your setup looks right (gravel bottom and volcano lava rocks). WHat is the pH and GH of your tank? It is important to have pH above 7, better at around 7.5. Therefore, no C02 and not so much plants. The nitrate level need to be low. These shrimps are more sensitive to everything than the others.
    Well as to trying to get them to come out more, they are very shy species and they seem to have very good eyes sight and are very cautious of our presence. Try to reduce the light a bit and don't stick your head directly (too close) near the glass. It usually takes some time before they will come out to feed openly. Also, if you have a group of them, they tend to be not as scared! Good luck with your shrimps! And post more photos!
    Thanks! bro fla04gbf
    Actually I did not measure the PH and GH. What I did was to cycle the tank setup for a few weeks. Then get a few pcs of sulawesi shrimps to test water for a week plus. Then add in more shrimps. I know it's very risky to do that.... just trying luck....
    Yup, noticed that they are very cautious as they will go into hiding even with slight movement. Hahaha... I do stick my head to close to the glass as was trying to spot them in the tank.....
    As for lighting, I only have one 8watts energy saving bulb. Thus don't think the lighting is too bright. In fact, I think it's might be too dim.
    I did not put any airstone. However my air bubbles are quite strong in the tank.
    Thanks! bro. Will try to post more photos but find it quite difficult to get nice shots....

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    27
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    9
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: My simple sulawesi shrimps setup

    Btw, bro fla04gbf. hope to see your setup for reference.... Thanks!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    27
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    9
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: My simple sulawesi shrimps setup

    Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Red Shrimp View Post
    omg my hand itchy already,feel like setting up one but need more knowledge first.
    Bro Crystal Red Shrimps, Welcome to the itchy hand club....

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    34
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    1
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: My simple sulawesi shrimps setup

    Quote Originally Posted by NewInShrimps View Post
    Btw, bro fla04gbf. hope to see your setup for reference.... Thanks!
    I am having problem uploading photos to my shrimp blog, so for the time being, please check out my sulawesi shrimp tank at the photo gallery section, file:

    My Sulawesi Shrimp Tank

    currently housing: 12 Cardinals, 2 chocolate sulawesi shrimps + ~ 20 CRS.

    Any feed back more than welcome

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    34
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    1
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: My simple sulawesi shrimps setup

    Forgot to mention also my 5 wonderful sulawesi snails that I bought from c328!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    96
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Indonesia

    Re: My simple sulawesi shrimps setup

    bro fla04gbf, Do you experience any death with your sulawesi shrimp? I have been keeping sulawesi shrimp for almost 3 months and they kept on dying on me. I think i lost around 50 so far..... My PH is about 8, ammonia, nitrate=0, and using bubble oxygen. Any suggestion?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    27
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    9
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: My simple sulawesi shrimps setup

    Quote Originally Posted by fla04gbf View Post
    I am having problem uploading photos to my shrimp blog, so for the time being, please check out my sulawesi shrimp tank at the photo gallery section, file:

    My Sulawesi Shrimp Tank

    currently housing: 12 Cardinals, 2 chocolate sulawesi shrimps + ~ 20 CRS.

    Any feed back more than welcome
    Quote Originally Posted by fla04gbf View Post
    Forgot to mention also my 5 wonderful sulawesi snails that I bought from c328!
    nice setup you have! hahaha.... you more garang than me... keeping CRS with sulawesi shrimps. Their PH requirements differs so much. Now all your shrimps well trained to adapt to different condition liao....
    one thing about keeping shrimps is that you don't know if they are still alive as they are in hidding most of the time...... unless we don't provide any hiding space for them

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    34
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    1
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: My simple sulawesi shrimps setup

    Quote Originally Posted by anakkucing View Post
    bro fla04gbf, Do you experience any death with your sulawesi shrimp? I have been keeping sulawesi shrimp for almost 3 months and they kept on dying on me. I think i lost around 50 so far..... My PH is about 8, ammonia, nitrate=0, and using bubble oxygen. Any suggestion?
    Yes, now and then they die. The well established one seems to survive better than the others. I would have lost around the same number as you did and at the beginning it was always on new shrimps that I introduced. After I switched to the "dripping method" to introduce the new sulawesi shrimps, I have very very few death from introducing new shrimps. If you are not doing than, I strong recommend trying it next time you buy new shrimps. And they are so extremely sensitity to any changes. I did a partial gravel change the other day and I found a few dead shrimp remains yesterday Anyway, from my humble opinion, it is extremely important that you have the right pararmeter at the brgining and you must not do any big changes, no big water changes, no changing sustrate, no re-landscaping. If you really need to do than, try moving them to an asylum tank (with the exact water parameters) and slowly moving them back. When changing water, I always slowly drip, drop by drop, conditioned water back to the tank. Hope this helps. Now I am waiting for them to start breeding

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    96
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Indonesia

    Re: My simple sulawesi shrimps setup

    i use dripping method as well for about 1-2 hours. It helps keeping them alive for about few days. but after that, they started dropping like flies. Everyday i would find 1 or 2 dead shrimps.... I even use dripping method for water change to avoid stress for the shrimp. So far i have tried around 8 types of sulawesi shrimp. I only managed to breed cardinal one time (they breed in my aqua) but they shrimplets seem to not survive in long term. only few managed to reach adult size. My conclusion so far, only cardinal is the easiest to keep, even though they still die on me sometimes...

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    34
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    1
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: My simple sulawesi shrimps setup

    Quote Originally Posted by anakkucing View Post
    i use dripping method as well for about 1-2 hours. It helps keeping them alive for about few days. but after that, they started dropping like flies. Everyday i would find 1 or 2 dead shrimps.... I even use dripping method for water change to avoid stress for the shrimp. So far i have tried around 8 types of sulawesi shrimp. I only managed to breed cardinal one time (they breed in my aqua) but they shrimplets seem to not survive in long term. only few managed to reach adult size. My conclusion so far, only cardinal is the easiest to keep, even though they still die on me sometimes...
    Totally agree! I have yet to successfully breed Cardinal but so far my colony is quite stable, I would say. I recently purchased two chocolate sulawesi shrimps (for Y61. They most resemble "Caridina sarasinorum" and they seem to be very robust and are much more active, although they are not as beautiful as the other sulawesi shrimps, I have a feeling that they will be easier to keep and breed. Anyone else has any experience with them?

    You can find a photo of them in this link:

    http://www.elokaquatics.com/shrimp4.html

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    27
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    9
    Country
    Singapore

    Rescape my Sulawesi setup

    After removing the ferns, the tank looks quite bare and thus decided to try to rescape to provide more hiding places for the shrimps.... appreciate your comments/suggestions on the new setup... enjoy.....

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    27
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    9
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: My simple sulawesi shrimps setup

    Added some hairgrass and few pieces of red stripes sulawesi shrimps in.... but all shrimps are in hiding.... sorry for the poor pics with the simple camera..... enjoy....

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •