Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

Brown hair algae?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    The algae which causes me most of my problems is a brown hair algae. Anyone have the Latin name for this type of algae, i like to know my enemy so i can better research it.

Also if anyone has any input on this type of algae please feel free to chime in.

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Brown hair algae?

Is there any picture to share?

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

I'll try to get a good pic, its growing on my upper wisteria mostly, some on my anubias attached to DW. Its just coming back after a blackout episode of 4 days. Had a nice tank when i took the cover off, crystal clear and only a little green algae on some stone in my tank.

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Not to confuse, I believe black out work very well against BGA.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia

Is your tank happens to be newly setup? mine also got this algae for the first month, but disappear with time and with the help of ottos I read somewhere if brown algae appears in an established tank, you will need to increase water change to keep the nitrate level down.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

I do blackouts about once a month 3 days and its gone, but always seems to return. It is a newly setup tank almost 3 months old now. My trates were reading around 20 for a while. Last week i did a 50%WC one day then another 50% the next to bring my trates down to 5ppm they got back up to 10/15ppm a week later on WC day, which was today. Did the usual 50%WC and they are now down to 5ppm again. I'll be keeping a closer eye on the trates from now on. Hopefully this will do it, most the other algae has been staying away its just this persistent hair algae which keepson returning. I'm really hoping its from teh higher trates i was at and i'll soon see a die back?? Time will tell, i'm starting to get the upper hand on it all over all. Take care of the plants and the rest seems to fall into place. Thanks for th ereplies feel free to look at the pic i posted here as well is it BGA?
    Last edited by bodhisdad; 4th Jul 2009 at 02:41. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Had this algae problem recently but after adding 10 yamatos it disappeared overnight.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I've had recurring episodes of hair algae as well. Treated with hydrogen peroxide and it seems to die but there are always remnants that seem to regenerate. Recently added some yamato shrimps after a dose of peroxide and those guys seem to have cleared up any algae that was left. It's been 2 weeks and so far so good. Hope it stays that way.