Country
    Singapore

Fake Gu Jing on Driftwood enquiries

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

I saw this driftwood, selling at C328, with 3 plants growing on it which the Auntie told me was Fake Gu Jing.

1) Can anyone who has been there confirm her ID of the plant?

2) What is the actual name of "Fake Gu Jing"? Need to know so that I can search and read up more about it before committing. Or better still,

3) can anyone advise on the required conditions for this plant, or where to search for information on it?

Thanks in advance to all brothers who share their knowledge.
    Last edited by gemo82; 2nd Jul 2009 at 04:40.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Fake Gu Jing on Driftwood enquiries

yeah I know its a short lil grass patch like plant the shop keepers said it has a chinese name only and is easy to grow... they sell it singly submersed for 2 bucks and 2 or 3 emersed on driftwood for bout 5 - 6 bucks...

it has 3 hard stick like roots sticking out for each plant which are unlike any other plant root I've ever seen... hopefully someone here knows more bout the plant too coz I got a couple of em in my tank
    ...I'm da in da deep blue ...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

How long did you have them in your tank, and how are they doing? Perhaps you can take a picture of them to post here so that other brothers here can help to ID? Thanks in advance if you can do that cause I have not got the plants myself yet.

Not knowing what the plant's requirements are, and being attached to driftwood instead of having it in the substrate, I am not sure if they can grow in my tank, thus reluctant to buy yet. I will be going down again later at night to have another look...

Hopefully someone here can provide more information...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Still no one replying to this thread. Anyway, I've bought the plant to try out in my tank. According to the guy at Polyart, he told me that its call "Fake Gujing" due to the fact that it does not send up a flowering "antenna" like other gujings, even though it does has "antenna", just no flowers. Not sure it it meant that I do not have to worry about it flowering since I read that Gujings will die off soon after flowering.

Since its still a kind of Gujing, I think I can call it Eriocaulon sp. Just not sure of its exact identity.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I saw it before and didn't buy it as I was afraid it is difficult to keep. It does look like a real one.
    We lease out large sized ponds to hobbyist who wants space to keep their fishes. We also provide feeding services so that you do not have to come down everyday to feed them. pm me or email me if you are interested in leasing out a pond from us.

Contact no: 9792 0454
    Email: [email protected]
    Details: http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=57167

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Attached is the fake gujing i presume. A relative bought it from c328. Shooting up stalks but not sure if it'll grow flowers or not. Need to wait and see the progress... will update if it's flowering or not in a weeks time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I love L minnows - A. Halik
    betta• channoides | edithae | pugnax | rubra | uberis

Hougang, Singapore / Tg Balai Karimun, Indonesia
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Best kept in emersed setup with high humidity like terrariums. I've yet to see anyone have long term success with this plant grown submersed.

It is a common plant that one can find along water edges here in Singapore. So the chaps at Seletar call this Sigapore Gu Jing
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.
    Philippians 4:8