Images
    Country
    Singapore

Frogbit - pictures

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Noticed that Frogbits (Limnobium laevigatum) grow differently under different conditions. Not sure if the lighting, heat or nutrients causing this. Here are some examples:

In the outdoors grown in a earthen jar of water, under direct sunlight, the leaves "stand up".

In the home, I found these are common when lights (PL and FL) are not too near the plant (about 5" away).

When lights (PL lighting) are very close to the plants (1"~3" away), they become this type. Heat?

Any explanations?
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The last pic which shows some "chao ta" leaves is properly due to nutrient deficiency? As light is one of the indirect factors affecting photosynthesis, with much higher light (plants extremely near pl or fl) plants uptake of nutrients would be extremely fast and hence leading to possible nutrient deficiency?
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Gwee, not deficiency. Some have it, some don't. Don't know why.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You are right, the last pic was taken during a time when the tank was having some deficiency. But at other times, it was a nice green but still with markings. My NO3 (20~40ppm), PO4 (0.5ppm) levels in there are not low with my frequent feedings.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I have a tank with very high nitrite and frogbits grow very nice like the one in pic #2. Coz I dun have a filter and I change water once a month for my 1ft tank.

In my 4ft tank, however, all my frogbits grow like those in pic #3. I think it is the nutrient deficiency that is causing it.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    so, frogbits can be a good indicator if there are some deficiency in the tank...?
    ...I love rubies too ...
    Ken

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ... my 2 cents...

Pic # 1
    Surface is tightly packed and leaves 'rise to the occasion' to outdo neighbours to garner more light.

Pic # 3
    Normal healthy growth. Lighting is 'just nice'. Where nutrient is adequate, the roots can reach 2 feet or longer.

Pic # 4
    I believe the pigmented 'tiger' stripes are there to cut down on light intake (reduce photosynthesis?). These floaters, when subjected to direct sun, also exhibit the stripes.

Btw, I love to use frogbits & salvinias for coverage (to calm down skittish fishes) and to control excess nutrient. IMHO, it works better than water lettuce which 'melts' when conditions not right and not as messy as duckweed! YMMV tho.

Ronnie
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Wah, I thought they were emersed Glossostigma until you took one in your hands.[]

ck

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/19/2003 6:24:07 PM

... my 2 cents...

Pic # 1
    Surface is tightly packed and leaves 'rise to the occasion' to outdo neighbours to garner more light.

Pic # 3
    Normal healthy growth. Lighting is 'just nice'. Where nutrient is adequate, the roots can reach 2 feet or longer.

Pic # 4
    I believe the pigmented 'tiger' stripes are there to cut down on light intake (reduce photosynthesis?). These floaters, when subjected to direct sun, also exhibit the stripes.

Btw, I love to use frogbits & salvinias for coverage (to calm down skittish fishes) and to control excess nutrient. IMHO, it works better than water lettuce which 'melts' when conditions not right and not as messy as duckweed! YMMV tho.

Ronnie
    ----------------
    Ronnie: Sounds reasonable. I will buy that for the moment.
    So does it mean that I have too much light (or lighting period) if the Frogbits start showing their stripes? []
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I go with that as well... my first guess would be that the plants have modified their pigmentation to adapt to the high light levels.

I think the kasselman book actually has some curves showing that there is an optimum level of light... which makes sense I guess. If the lights get too strong, the plants have to divert some resources to protect themselves (i.e. change of pigments)... so as such their usage of resources would be less efficient. (I'm guessing though)
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/19/2003 7:35:58 PM

Wah, I thought they were emersed Glossostigma until you took one in your hands.[]

ck
    ----------------
    Excuse moi, that's my hand you're talking about.

I kind of think likewise too. Strip as a result of more light, unfortunately this may not be conclusive because those you see, like Glosso, are actually directly under nature sunlight. And the urn of water cultivating them are fertilised with dried chicken droppings and nothing else.

There must be something else together with the light that make them have strips.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    Ronnie: Sounds reasonable. I will buy that for the moment.
    ----------------
    Juggler, the best part of free advise from me is there's nothing for you to buy! It's just my own observation from various tanks and conditions. I'm ready to be corrected if I'm wrong.

----------------
    So does it mean that I have too much light (or lighting period) if the Frogbits start showing their stripes? []
    ----------------
    urm... let me just give a relevant(?) analogy. When our skin get dark from the sun, that's expected but is fair or dark skin "normal"? What I DO know (since I ain't no plant), is that a sun-burn means I'm getting way TOO MUCH sun! (makes sense?)

Ronnie
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey, has anyone tried grow Frogbit submersed? Would be interesting to know how they turned out. Like CK's "Frankenstein Glosso"?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/20/2003 5:33:49 PM

Hey, has anyone tried grow Frogbit submersed? Would be interesting to know how they turned out. Like CK's "Frankenstein Glosso"?
    ----------------
    You are a joker,LOL.[] [] []

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/20/2003 5:33:49 PM

----------------
    Geoffrey: Not easy to tied them down with fishing line or nets. How about trying to really grow them emersed in a flower pot with soil? Maybe can get Frankenstein Glosso "stripes".
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/20/2003 11:45:41 AM
    ----------------
    mmm… maybe can rename it tigerbits.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    the frogbits that i have does exhibit the stripes but very minimal. doesn't seem to make a difference whether it is directly under the lights or getting stray lights. i have 108W for a 2.5ft and lights are 1-2" from water surface.
    thomas liew