Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: why not apple snail in planted tank!

Feedback Score

why not apple snail in planted tank!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hahah i introduce 1 apple snail into my 4 feet planted tank !
    guess wat! it didnt terrorize my potted plants but instead, it kept my riccia in order ! it grw alomost twice the size i bought it since 2 weeks ago!(its the onli 1 active / alive among the whole bunch!)
    1 thing i like to share is today i intro a bunch of ghost shrimp into my tank, hehe cheapo me.. guess wat! 1 small fella sit of the snail and rode around the tank! when the snail came near a grp of adult shrimps ,(thought he was going to attack them!) instead they fought him off with their sharp 'legs' and 'antennas'!!! haha no choice so the snail went over them and crushing a few smaller 1s into my riccia lawn (shrimps not dead!) and began his meal on my riccia! ALL along tt little shrimp sat on the snail! haha wat a wonderful episode!1 more thing to add... DO NOT ADD APPLE SNAIL if u DO NOT have a large tank min. 4 ft.... and of coz diff snails have diff TASTE! i truly enjoy seeing my APPLe change shell!(when i bought it , the shell was black and dark green with onli little bit of goldish colour. now it completely transform! half its shell turned into BRIGHT goldish/yellow colour!!! i esp. like its 'hand' , like waving to me all the time saying hi!)
    []

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    well, its gold/orange. so it sticks out in our usually green/brown/red tanks.

besides, I worry about parasites..grr

do you have moss in your tank? and like chris said, the huge orange ball is an aquired taste, some like it in a planted tank, and some don't I guess.

do you have moss in your tank? and like chris said, the huge orange ball is an aquired taste, some like it in a planted tank, and some don't I guess.

Feedback Score
    I had 1 in my tank too. It started to have an acquired taste on my anabais and it ate up the whole plant over night ! I was so frustrated with it I threw it into my wife's Goldfish aquarium (read GF Thread)and its still crawling there.

But the miss this funny little episode every evening now. Your see, I have this little minature puffer in the tank to control snails population. Every time in the evening, the puffer will wait at the front right corner of the tank for the snails to crawl onto the lawn. Once it there, the puffer will curl up its body and dart straight into the snail ! Without fail, every time the little puffer would get deflected off the shell and richocet somewhere to the far reaches of the tank. After some tries it'ii give up and assume other business. But he will repeat this all over again the next evening... Hmmm... I funny right ??

Cheers