Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: is heater necessary for planted tank?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

is heater necessary for planted tank?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    is heater necessary for planted tank?

my cousin just bought a heater to get the temp in his planted tank to 30... so as to treat white spots...

is that necessary?

to me.... as we r in singapore .... heater for planted tank... is not necessary..
    even in a aircon room.... temp will be usually 25.. and i think thats.. ok for planted tank....

and using a heater to rise temp to 30!.... thats way too high....

and rising temp to treat white spots?.... hmmmm.... not a good way i guess.

to me best way is to remove those fishes and put them into a hospi tank... and treat them there...for 2 week. by doing this.... those lavae in the gravel of the planted tank will died of slowly as they need to stick on a host (fish)to be able to surve....

try and tested.

maybe im wrong in some point.... pls enlighten me...

whats your comments. thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    according to most disease treatments for whitespot, you raise the temp to 30/31. but that's only for whitespot. don't see any use otherwise.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    lets get the problem straight... using a heater for ICH treatment is usually recommended because it helps to accelerate the life cycle of ICH, and thus shorters the problem period. Locally though, water temps are usually about 28-29 in our tanks, and using a heater is an unnecessary investment.

Even if your tank is in the air con or you are using a chiller, all it means is that the life cycle is a bit longer... Using a heater does NOT cure ICH, it merely accelerates its life cycle.
    Allen

the ich bacteria on the gravel can burst out of their cyst to infect your other fishes if they are stressed or not healthy, so the prob doesn't just end with removal of the sick fishes. still need to treat your tank. but so far I find that if the ich isn't serious (like one or 2 fishes with slight ich), just let the fishes be and just change water, they normally recover on their own.

Feedback Score
    Profile Of White Spot (ICH)
    Name: Ichthyophthirius multifiliis
    Type: Protozoan
    Size: 0.5mm-1.5mm
    Life Span: Aprox. 20 days
    Cause: Fish being Chilled.
    Treatment: Raze Temperature to 85f (30C). Malachite Green.

wad will happen when most of the times the tank is in air conditioned room temperature of water hiting 24 degree ???? and the often changing of temperature will it have any side effect on the fishes ?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    As mentioned before in various threads, lower temp => longer lifecycle for the ich parasite => longer treatment. (Hope i understand ur 2nd qn correctly) If u really wish to use a heater to raise the temp up to 28-30 deg then keep it that way until u cured ur fishes. Ur plants should grow better once the temp reverts back to 24 deg.

A word of caution : Malachite Green is a suspected carcinogen. Use it at ur own risk.
    http://www.fishdoc.co.uk/treatments/malachite.htm
    ThEoDoRe

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    btw.... i dont thinkwater being chill will sure got white spot.... if that is the case.... everyone with temp around 24.... all their fishes will get white spot liao

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hey tranquillizer no point cut and paste what u see on internet.....

what do u mean by "Fish being Chilled".... what degree will "Fish being Chilled"???

24 degree?....

if that is the case... why my fish arent getting white spots?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Fish get ich when they are unhealthy or stressed.

Being in colder water then they can take is a form of 'stress', just like being chased around whole day by another dorminant fish. When stressed, the health will go down hill and getting ich is just one of the consequence.

I find raising the temperature and at the same time adding salt is rather effective, and you wont get adverse impact on your plants. But fish will take a bit longer to recover, that's it.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    from wad i surf for ... fish being chilled at temperature may start from 20-26 degree ... ur fish kana den treated ... and wad i noe is tt once they are being treated they are more stronger and less prone to whitespot ... but after putting the heater my fishes all recover from whitespot ... now i'm in the process of making sure they are less prone to whitespot again ...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/21/2003 11:26:39 PM

Profile Of White Spot (ICH)
    Name: Ichthyophthirius multifiliis
    Type: Protozoan
    Size: 0.5mm-1.5mm
    Life Span: Aprox. 20 days
    Cause: Fish being Chilled.
    Treatment: Raze Temperature to 85f (30C). Malachite Green.
    ----------------
    I think putting the cause of ICH to "Fish being chilled" is incorrect. No doubt the life cycle of ICH is extended in colder waters, but its by no means the primary cause.

Could you also provide the website which you cut this from? I would like to take a look as well.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    oh tranquillizer... so the reason of u buying a heater is to treat white spot....

btw this is the first time i heard someone using a heater to treat white spots...

and i dont think "fish being chill" is the primary cause of ich too...

if that is the case.... i wonder why fishes still get white spot when the water temp is 28...

my friend fishes got ich... when the tank temp is 28 to 30....

pls enlighten me.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    and lorba....

i do some how agree with u on stress fishes... will get white spot easyer....

however u said "Being in colder water then they can take is a form of 'stress'"...

i really wonder about this.....

what do u mean by colder water?.... 24 degree...?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    if 24 degree is cold to u.... and u say that they will be stress.... hmmm i dont think so...

u can go to this website to have a look...

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/P...53/fishes.html

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hi thanantosis, colder water then 'they' can take applies generally. Differnt fish and plant has the minimum and maximum temperature they can handle, out of the range they might die or something. I guess most reputable books will spell these out somewhere.

I think the "xx degree - xx degree" means the lowest and highest temperature the author/researcher had recorded through observation (in their biotope), it does not mean the fish lives very happily at that lowest or highest temperature, its probably the temperature which it still appear ok to the researcher. Otherwise, you probably won't find dead fish in the wild. Natural habitats are also subjected to many factors, one far fetched would be global warming. Dry or hot season will also be factored in, and many others.

The biotope or natural habitat where you find a fish or plant does not mean they thrive there. They are just not dead. If i remember correctly, this reasoning is also brought up in the Kassalmann's 'Aquarium Plants'.

I am not saying 24C is the rock bottom (i didnt specify any in my earlier post), but i guess these endurance levels might not be true to farm breed species (esp locally breeded), and they are probably acclimatize to the local weather and does not experience the changes in the nature like their forefathers.

I think 26C (IMO) is optimal for both plant and fish. For a fish to stay in coldER water for long periods, it will certainly be a slow or small kinda stress. Imagine you living in aircon rooms, but not wearing anything, stress? []

From experience, i kept my office tank at 25C, all fine when one day, probably scared by some colleagues sticking face to the tank, the fish got more stressed and developed ich (more prone to sensitive fish, i had cardinals). Now i keep it at 27C with heater.

I am not saying that cold water leads to ich, its just a source of stress. Any other sickness might develope. Ichs are more prone to stressed fishes like clown loach, ram.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    another example using plants would be xmas moss, they wont die at 30C or 31C, but you probably can't get much nice growth until lowered to 25C - 27C.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/22/2003 8:17:48 PM

from wad i surf for ... fish being chilled at temperature may start from 20-26 degree ... ur fish kana den treated ... and wad i noe is tt once they are being treated they are more stronger and less prone to whitespot ... but after putting the heater my fishes all recover from whitespot ... now i'm in the process of making sure they are less prone to whitespot again ...
    ----------------
    Anyway, i seriously doubt fish will be less prone after contracting ichs. They better dun get it again!

Maintaining consistent tank parameters like temperature and ensure a harmony fish community is A PART of a better prevention.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hai yah lorba....

how can u compare human to fishes.... ahhaahah

fishes already use to dont where clothes liao.... human different mah...
    hahahah

anyway.... it is good to get all advices from people like u and others....

cos it really build up our knowleage towards.... fishes illnesss...

and tranquillizer, i strongly dont think u need a heater for your planted tank at all.... somemore your aim of using a heater is to treat ich....
    and to heat up the water for planted tank....

that is more needless...

heat up the temp for planted?.... hmmmm.... yes u will need a heater when your tank is in a aircon room for 24/7.... at below 20 deg.

but i dont think thats your case right....

and i think we guys(those people with planted tank)... will be more then happy to see the temp of our tank at 24....(at least our yamato,bee,tiger will be happy)

rather then see the temp at 30! right....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/23/2003 4:08:04 AM

hai yah lorba....

how can u compare human to fishes.... ahhaahah

fishes already use to dont where clothes liao.... human different mah...
    hahahah

anyway.... it is good to get all advices from people like u and others....

cos it really build up our knowleage towards.... fishes illnesss...

----------------
    Just a extreme comparison, , from the bold text, i pressume you are referring me as having sick fish all the time huh?

well, i agree with u on the heater part, most of us are desperately trying to lower the temp. But its a different story if you are having a office tank. Without a heater, my office tank hovers at 22C.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功