Country
    Singapore

Re: My experience with Sulawesi Cardinals & Yellow Cheeks

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by Radiance View Post
    Wow! Very nice collection of sulawesi shrimps you have!
    May I ask where did you get them? Thinking of keeping a few after seeing your post
    I got the cardinals from Y618, and the yellow cheeks from C328.
    The shrimps just got moved to a 2 feet tank, but that's another post regarding this adventure.
    Glad to know more ppl are getting interested in them. They are really a nature wonder, and have exquisite colours and features. It is not that difficult to keep them after the initial barrier of setting up and stablising your tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by sthh View Post
    I got the cardinals from Y618, and the yellow cheeks from C328.
    The shrimps just got moved to a 2 feet tank, but that's another post regarding this adventure.
    Glad to know more ppl are getting interested in them. They are really a nature wonder, and have exquisite colours and features. It is not that difficult to keep them after the initial barrier of setting up and stablising your tank.

Sound interesting to me
    Just to double check, there is no chiller require for this shrimp?
    How much did you bought them?
    Thanks for sharing this beautiful shrimp

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yup, you are correct. Definitely no chiller needed. I keep them near the window bay, and I suspect the temperature there can reach up to 31 degree.

Got them for about 7bucks each. I think CRS haven has a buy 1 get 1 free offer. I was there yesterday, and the shrimps there looks very healthy and climatised. Do check the price, cos I didn't ask.

Just make sure that you get your PH, temperature constant and right. Just a tip. Squeeze the mulm from an old filter media into your new tank, and then cover it with your substrate. Use at least some old filter media in your new filter pump, and your tank will be stocked with beneficial bacteria in no time, and the water will be clear. It might look gross, but it is good stuff. Good luck.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Cool!
    Thanks for sharing the great information here...
    Btw, what do you feed those sulawesi shrimps?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Radiance View Post
    Cool!
    Thanks for sharing the great information here...
    Btw, what do you feed those sulawesi shrimps?
    The shrimps are also fed daily with a rotation of hikari algae wafers, mosura, and some generic shrimp food pellets (sera). Some days they are not fed, so they just pick on the rocks.

Feedback Score

"I do not perform regular water change regularly, but I do top up the water once in a while."

Hey Sthh,

I tried the "top up water for myself" and I had many Cardinals dissappear from my tank..Now I have switched to 10% w/c every week and don't see any dead shrimps lying around...Congrats on your 3 generation...I am currently working on breeding them too and have seen 3rd generation babies...Just currently found several F1 babies finally berried...

I started off w/ yellow cheeks too and only 1 adult left and 3 growing babies I happen to find in my tank...trying to get them to breed...they are so sensitivve...how are yours doing?

Henry

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by chromes03 View Post
    "I do not perform regular water change regularly, but I do top up the water once in a while."

Hey Sthh,

I tried the "top up water for myself" and I had many Cardinals dissappear from my tank..Now I have switched to 10% w/c every week and don't see any dead shrimps lying around...Congrats on your 3 generation...I am currently working on breeding them too and have seen 3rd generation babies...Just currently found several F1 babies finally berried...

I started off w/ yellow cheeks too and only 1 adult left and 3 growing babies I happen to find in my tank...trying to get them to breed...they are so sensitivve...how are yours doing?

Henry
    Hi Henry,
    The current batch of Sulawesi shrimps I have are now finally used to abuse. I managed to perform large water change (50%) with no casualty.
    There was once when I took out a rock, and all the dirt and mulm was disturbed and going all over the tank, forcing me to do a large water change. (worried about ammonia spike). Then I realised that they are ok with it, and since have been doing water change of 20% to 40%. They actually do become more active after that.

However, this is what I usually do for water change. I put the anti-chlorine, add the water, and then also add a pinch of "Goldfish Water Buffer" from Baxter Lab to buffer up the PH. (That was the only thing I have and I was desparate then). However, I don't advocate large water change for newly setup tank. I did my large water change nearly 4 months later, when the shrimps are better adjusted.

Have you been overfeeding your shrimps? Mine usually graze on algaes, and get a little pinch of shrimp food now and then. That should minimise leftover food and mulm on the substrate, and your nitrate level. Otherwise, water top-up shouldn't cause casualties.

I finally realise why my yellow cheeks are not reproducing. The 3 that I have left are all females!, and 2 are actually yellow stripe rather than yellow cheek. They look really similiar, except that the yellow cheek got an extra yellow dot on the cheek! It took me 6 months to realise they are a different species, and I found the pictures from an Indonesian website .. aristocratama.. The yellow cheeks doesn't become transparent when the lights are off, but the yellow stripes turns bluish... Interesting.
    I am now looking around for some males.

What species of Sulawesi are available in US? Are there any of those blue Sulawesi? They will really compliment the reds of the Cardinals.

Once your females are berried, they will constantly be productive! Congrats! I think you can start a captive breeding farm in US, and I am sure there is a huge demand for captive breed. Keep up with the updates.
    STHH
    Last edited by sthh; 20th Aug 2009 at 09:55.
    My fish friends --------------------------------
    1 goldfish tank
    1 discus tank

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi,
    I am new in the hobby. My yellow cheek sulawesi shrimp are not moving but still alive. Just placed them in a new 1.5 ft tank for a day already. Ph 8.5, gh 9, kh 3 tds 130, Anyone has any idea why?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12