Images
    Country
    Singapore

Anti Chlorine Solution

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Just found out that a solution I've been using AquaSafe, neutralises heavy metal as well. I guess I've been dosing iron for nothing. Is there any solution that simply removes the chlorine? BTW, I don intend to have buckets of water for water changes.

Regards
    Everything should be made as simple as possible...but not one bit simpler.

I think there are lots of brands that remove the chlorine but only a few that remove chloramine as well. for me, I don't bother just add direct from tap. works ok for me.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    taz,

If I'm not mistaken, when it says "neutralizes heavy metals", what it means is that it has some chelators like "EDTA" inside which bind heavy metals. This doesn't mean that these nutrients become unavailable to plants, but that they are safe to your fish.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Perhaps you would like to read this on.

http://www.floridadriftwood.com/plan....htm#recommend
    Everything should be made as simple as possible...but not one bit simpler.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i use genesis which is quite popular and even many LFS use it
    ... always look at the bright side of life

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/22/2003 8:37:52 PM

Perhaps you would like to read this on.

http://www.floridadriftwood.com/plan....htm#recommend
    ----------------
    Taz,

What you pointed out is basically the much quoted sears-collins paper which first came out with PMDD... I assume the line which you have are trying to point out is this...

"Certain water treatment products (Aquasafe, NovAqua) should be avoided as they bind metals (including iron), making them unavailable to plants. They may also contain phosphate buffers. Simple dechlorinators or products such as Amquel are a better choice for treating tap water during water changes. "
    and my point is this... even if the heavy metals are bound, I'm pretty sure your plants are capable of using them... Take for example nutrients like Fe which typically come chelated to either EDTA or DPTA. your plants use them quite happily. In the case of tetra aquasafe, I did a quick search on the web, and the contents are basically shown in this table. Without knowing for sure what "organic chelating compunds" are used, its hard to gauge the strength of binding. However, I can say that I've been using aquasafe for the last 2-3 years without problems.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    answer:
    add the dechlorinator to the bucket of tap water. not to the tank.
    after it binds whaterver heavy metals inthe tank, whatever active ingredient leftover is minimal.

after you add the water to your tank, then you dose with your fert. (in other words. water change before lights on or very early in your light cycle.

Feedback Score
    I use Aquaplus by Hagen on every water change and if it does bind all Irons then My red lotus and other plants would not have done well, but they do trive and bubbling.

I do not use Aquasafe by Tetra. Cuz more ex. []

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    out of curiousity, I wrote to tetra to ask them about aquasafe... the reply I got while not answering my question directly, seemed like sensible advise... here it is...

-----------
    Hello,

The product aquasafe is out of the system in 24 hours. You only need to
    use
    it when you do a water change. If you put in your fertilizers after 24
    hours, then the aquasafe won't remove any of the metals.

Thank you
    consumer Relations
    -----------
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    This is the reply I got from Hagen (Aquaplus) :

============================
    Unfortunately I do not have the luxury of forwarding your message to our expert in the Liquids division for a scientific answer. He is away from his desk for the next few days, and an answer before then is appropriate. I did write the original instructions on the product with his help, so although I cannot go into exact chemical processes, I can give you the layman's view.

The removal of metal ions is what concerns you, I would guess, since the product does not remove other types of trace elements. As such it is not harmful to the actual trace elements added with fertilizers. Any metals added in a plant fertilizer are in some form of chelated compound. The metals removed from tap water are in their ionized form which are also not in a form that can be easily used by the plants. The action of Aqua~Plus is to turn them into safe chelated compounds for fish and plants

The other compounds in the product are not removing any other compound other than chlorine/chloramine which is not useful for plants either. The actual action of the product is rather brief, so if you are even the slightest bit worried, the best way to do a water change is to remove the water to change, then use the product in the bucket you are transporting the new water to the aquarium. This way the activity of neutralizing metal toxicity is accomplished well before the water reaches the aquarium and ensures safe addition to your tank.

I hope this helps somewhat,

Best Regards,
    Rolf C. Hagen Inc.
    ============================
    ThEoDoRe

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I thought aquasafe is by tetra.
    in anycase, what's more dubious is tetra's easybalance.