Country
    Singapore

Comments on AQ workshop

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    First of all, we like to thank all those who attended the workshop
    please give us your comments, so we will improve on it in the future.

for one, the weather was too warm and the space constraint

Feedback Score
    First of all I like to thanks the organizers for holding the workshop.

Personally, as a newbie, I have benefitted from the talk. What I find helpful, being able to observe the setup of the tank.

Since we have a mix crowd from novice to expert, it would be nice to address each clusters. I know the workshop is meant for beginner, nevertheless it has attracted a large crowd. I figure the next one too will be mix too - which is a good problem , may I suggest that breaking the class into small clusters the next meeting and have different moderators addressing different issues.

Those of us who are novice can be facilitated by one moderator who can address all our woes. For the more advances perhaps they want to discussed more specific problems and lastest findings. Key disscussions can be posted in the web afterwards. This way, everyone has a piece of information.

Thanks Lighthammer for arranging for transportation.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i might say it's too ambitious in content coverage.... on hindsight, I think an approach that leaves the technical minutiae to handed-out or downloadable material would be preferable, leaving the presenter to address the most vital broad strokes (e.g. why CO2, filters and Nitrogen cycle, fert basics, etc). Also, aquascaping is a topic that needs a whole workshop to itself....

yeah, I think it would be nice if a whole period of time was spent simply on how to actually setup the tank, what connects to where, how to do the fert and gravel, how to plant plants, how to aquascape to create various effects like depth.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    First of all, like to say that the workshop is a success and all the things regards about the planted tank setup is covered.

However, I feel that there should be more breaks in betweem so as to allow the non-planted tank people to induct their interests. Like those people accompany by girlfriends.

Just my two cents worth.

I will be looking forward towards more workshop where it can cover in depth and some discussion around.

Cheer.......[:]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    noticed many rushed off before the workshop ends.

Agreed that there should be more breaks, since the presentation is rather long.

If there is a reception at the end of the workshop, get to makan and drink, should better promote interaction. The sticker name tag does not really serve its purpose this time round.

Like some mentioned, probably it would be good to have a Aquascaping workshop next time round, and follow by reception+prize presentation for the competition?? [] If possible, maybe can rent a hotel hallroom for this purpose, like Amano's workshop. I wouldn't mind paying a bit to register for such.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

I was outside most of the time as it was simply too stuff inside the room.

Preparatory reading material should have been issued (viz website links, FAQs). Then you wouldn't have to go through elementary stuff like "type of filters" etc. Participants should already have come prepared to ask questions abt what they have read, if they had questions in the first place.

Alternatively, printed material could be provided at the workshop itself. It entails a cost of course but it could have been recovered from the participants. I do not think anyone's going to quibble with that. If you wanna set up a tank and make sure it survives, you'd better be doing some reading anyway!

Since this was a "planted tank" workshop, one wonders why there was a need to go through what types of filters there was? I suspect participants would be more interested in matters such as choice of gravel, fertilizers, choice of plants, choice of lights, aquascaping techniques etc. By focusing on these, time could have been cut short.

Microphones should have been used (with the reverb adjusted downwards). People standing at the far back and outside couldn't hear very clearly. And when you can't hear properly, you get bored.
    Another quality, non aquatic-related post from mrs budak!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    The topics discuss are very useful to everyone. Thanks to all the people who get this information available for us.
    However i was hoping that the workshop would concentrate on the step in setting up the tank. Most of the planting was done in the dark(maybe the mh light was too warm to work under), i looking to how different people step up their tank and the way they plan the landscape. And also to achieve the aquascape, what is to be done after the planting?

Again thanks for the effort[]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    OK thanks for the feedback so far... and we'll keep in mind everything thats been said (and will be said) to try improve our next workshop.

I have a few comments of my own as well...

1) The room was too small, and really stuffy which doesn't help the listener

2) Perhaps there was some miscommunication of expectations... Some of you I guess were expecting a workshop on aquascaping, while what we presented was on the more technical aspects of planted tanks. While both are relevant, it would have been better if we aligned your expectations first.

3) Also the level of the talk was pitched at too broad a level. Without knowing explicitly who would be there, and how much you knew, we had to subject everyone to a lengthy topic which covered everything from beginners (which bored the more knowledgeable) to advanced (which caused more than a few dazed expressions). Perhaps we should have gotten some feedback on the level of the people coming, and pitched the talk to pre-determined levels of people... at least this way, the talk can be delivered to the "right" people
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/23/2003 1:33:42 PM
    Since this was a "planted tank" workshop, one wonders why there was a need to go through what types of filters there was? I suspect participants would be more interested in matters such as choice of gravel, fertilizers, choice of plants, choice of lights, aquascaping techniques etc. By focusing on these, time could have been cut short.

Microphones should have been used (with the reverb adjusted downwards). People standing at the far back and outside couldn't hear very clearly. And when you can't hear properly, you get bored.
    ----------------
    Mrs Budak,

With regards to microphones... we tried to get it working, but there was no function to cut off the echo... more than one of us looked at the system, but it seemed to be built in.

As for the filter portion though, I have to disagree. We went through filters for the simple reason that not every filter is suitable for planted aquariums. To someone more experienced, this may seem blatantly obvious. However, judging from the number of queries I got during the break and after the talk, I would say that there were quite a few beginners at the workshop.... and the types of questions asked also showed that some had poor understanding of basic principles like the N-cycle, CO2 loss due to surface agitation etc.

However, I do agree that we could have looked further into the needs of individuals and perhaps split the workshop at some point so that beginners and advanced people would both have benefitted more.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks all for the workshop. IMO, It is really difficult to present something that fits majority if not everyone 's expectation. All turn ups have different background and expecting different stuff from the workshop. But I guess all individuals have benefitted from the workshop at different points and in their own ways. I do not know if holding a survey exercise to find out majority's needs before planning the WS will help or not. Thanks all again.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    err this may be a bit off topic but is there any pictures for the workshop that can be posted here ?for the benefit of those who cannot make it have a look at the new planted tank

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/23/2003 5:43:55 PM

However, I do agree that we could have looked further into the needs of individuals and perhaps split the workshop at some point so that beginners and advanced people would both have benefitted more.
    ----------------
    mrs budak replies:

Then the scope would be too wide and you would have a 10-hour workshop. You cannot hope to cater to all if resources are limited. It would have been more beneficial and efficient to have focused workshops. I suggest the mods draw up who their target audience is for every workshop to be held. If most participants are going to be beginners, have a begginer's workshop with the appropriate topics. (However, I think the same can be achieved if forummers are encouraged to read up and ask questions on the web.) If it's aquascaping, then skip the elementary stuff like choice of filter and go straight into the technical and aesthetics of scaping.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I am sure many beginners learnt a great deal in the workshop.
    Because of the heat, I did not stayed long enough to listen to all the speakers other than Jacian and Allen.

Judging from the brief summary by Sherwin, I think the target of the workshop was the broad audience as opposed to the specific groups of individuals.

It would help me if Jacian could elaborate a little more on aquascaping. The details of lightings (especially the theory of 'cone') presented by Allen lost me.

I find the presentation along side with Jacian busy designing the layout of the Gan's 8 footer rather distracting.

I would love the sit through the presentation on Plants Nutrients if not for the soaring heat. Maybe the aircon should be switched on.

Overall I give the Mods of AQ a thumb-up for the effort. Thank you.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi

Here's my bit.

Firstly, thank you moderators for organising this. We definitely appreciate the efforts required to pull this together.

As for format changes, perhaps we could have multiple tracks aimed at the different levels. Aquascaping seems to be a common request as everything that we do eventually leads to Aquascaping. So perhaps we could have some common topics and then some concurrent technical tracks. As suggested earlier, we could poll the crowd to determine the different interest/topics to be presented.

I guess the site could be better but it could also be worst. Having it in a hotel is good but we may need to poll for what the group is willing to pay. We should also not forget the logistics of bringing the tank, plants, substrate, equipments etc to the site.

As with all events, nobody is going to be 100% pleased no matter how well things are done. For me, I would say that while it may not have been 100% of what I envisioned, it was certainly worth my Sat just to meet up for chit chats.

Thank you once again and look forward to more of such events.

Rgds, Kelvin

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/24/2003 10:11:36 AM

Hi

Here's my bit.

Firstly, thank you moderators for organising this. We definitely appreciate the efforts required to pull this together.

As for format changes, perhaps we could have multiple tracks aimed at the different levels. Aquascaping seems to be a common request as everything that we do eventually leads to Aquascaping. So perhaps we could have some common topics and then some concurrent technical tracks. As suggested earlier, we could poll the crowd to determine the different interest/topics to be presented.

I guess the site could be better but it could also be worst. Having it in a hotel is good but we may need to poll for what the group is willing to pay. We should also not forget the logistics of bringing the tank, plants, substrate, equipments etc to the site.

As with all events, nobody is going to be 100% pleased no matter how well things are done. For me, I would say that while it may not have been 100% of what I envisioned, it was certainly worth my Sat just to meet up for chit chats.

Thank you once again and look forward to more of such events.

Rgds, Kelvin

----------------
    thanks for the lift!
    there and back somemore!
    nice chatting with you...
    hope to see your tanks soon...
    good luck with new tank project...
    will be glad to be of help...
    call if you need anything...
    your plants are ready to be trimmed when you need them (blxya japoinca)...

[]

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    First and foremost, congratulations to all the moderators for making the planted tank workshop happened.

It is really good to see so many enthusiasts whom took the trouble to travel all the way to lim chu kang.

Like most people whom have febback, I feel there is a need to gather the audience background such that we have a workshop for beginner/intermediate level.

Otherwise, really good job.

One thing, I felt that the aquascaping by Jacian should not have been done in the background. As I believe most people especially newbies would like to learn about the process rather hear about them.

Another aspect, will be good. Could be stuff like "Watchouts for Newbies"..Where you guys can share your experience in setting a tank, etc.

Will be good if there could be hands on...but given the limited resources and time...better not mention this.

Off topic, ecological field trip to see aquatic plants in their natural environment should be interesting as well.
    Check out Wynx' Blog
    Check out Wynx' Gallery
    When fate hands you a lemon, make lemonade.
    Dale Carnegie
    "Who cannot love Her smallest things cannot stand in front of Nature" 隆あまの 

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    maybe can try to video it also, for people who are interested and can't make it, then can borrow from teh moderators to see what was missed...

me last minute have to go school... then miss the workshp... sianz...
    ----------------------------

do not do to others what you will not want done to you!

be kind! =)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Firstly, thanks all whom organise such workshop. I'm glad to have a great time there.

I'm rather impressed by how Jascian design and work with the tank. I've learnt a lot from him that day. He's given me many inspiration to start with. Thanks all speakers whom have taken their precious time off to prepare such a good presentation.

Comments and suggestions:

For the overall workshop,
    1) the topic is a quite broad, some are covered in depth while others are quite general.

2) Perhaps can consider spilting it into two or few lessons. It could be a progressive ones. Start with an introduction and technical details. So for people whom are interested or beginners, they could attend to find out more about equipments, lighting and slowly leading to the study of ecology, various plant characteristics and others. This can be conducted in a comfort of a classroom without workshop, at a more convenient place.

3) Finally, after these lessons, a practical aspect is conducted on another day, the building of the tank or workshop. That's where everyone will see how the actual setup is done, just like what Jascian is doing.

4) This ensure that whomever is interested in a particular lesson or workshop could attend based on their interest and level. Presenter will also need not rush to present many contents in a day.

For the presentation part :
    1) It would be better if there're more pictures on the slideshow, rather than words that viewers have to read for many lines. Pictures like equipment, diagrams, charts, etc.

2) Before the actual day, perhaps a survey on what the people would like to know about a particular topic would be interesting. People can make suggestions or questions, and it's up to the presenter to choose whatever questions that best addresses the interest of a larger audience. Thus, making the content delivery richer with different perspective.

Overall, I find the workshop beneficial, and the presentation is very clear and interesting. I'm greatly grateful for all the effort done in making this event a successful one!

Feedback Score
    Hi...
    Being a newbie to this hobby I am immensely indebted to the presenters and all those involved in organising this workshop. Although it was a little heavy going, the topics covered were all very useful for someone who intends to start on the hobby.

Let us be reminded this is all done on a voluntary basis by non-profit seeking hobbyist. Should a fee be necessary in order to make the workshop better, I am sure that we would be more than happy to chip in!! Thanks!
    ---------------------
    So many fish, so little time...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast