Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Home-cooked food for bottom feeders?

Feedback Score

Home-cooked food for bottom feeders?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    What do you guys feed your bottom feeders, that is, other than those commercial foods like sinking wafers?

I've read about people feeding them with self-prepared vegetables. What type of local veg is best and how do you prepare these and does it affect the cleanliness of the tank?

I"ve tried cucumber before, just cut slices and weigh them down near lights out. next day remove.didn't cloud my water at all!

Anonymous Guest/Not Logged In
    How about peas? Thought I saw from TV. But don't know if it is cooked ones or raw ones. If you experiment, tell us your results.

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys. In fact, I've experimented before.

I took a leaf from a green leafy vegetable (dunno name) and boil it. I suppose it was too hot to put in immediately and tried soaking in some lukewarm water.

After awhile, I put it into the tank. But I don't seem to see the cories rushing for it?

I've tried microwaving peas, cooling them before putting it in but again they weren't very enthusiastic about it.

Maybe I'm using the wrong veg? I didn't leave it in the tank long enough for fear that it might dirty the water and as a result may cause an algae bloom.

I've yet to try cucumber. Will let you guys know the results if I try.

I really hope that home-prepared food will succeed because I find that commercial food is overpriced.

If there's anyone out there who have experimented and succeed, please let me know! []

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Well, I've being feeding my shrimps with cooked spinach. They seems to like it alot. Even the SAE, tetra and pencil fish go after it. Just boil the veg with water then keep them in the fridge. Prepare enough for a week as the cooked veg cannot be store in the fridge for too long. During feeding, just weigh the veg down with a weight.

Hope that this helps.
    Au SL

Feedback Score
    Thanks! I'll definitely try with spinach!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I've tried and succeeded with Romaine Lettuce. Blanch a leaf and weigh it to the bottom of the tank. It's meant for my (late) zebra plecos, but my corydoras went for it too.

For peas, you're supposed to boil and then remove the skin before you feed them.
    P-L-E-C-O-R-Y=M-A-N-I-A!!! YEAH!
    FLORENCE, capital of the region of Tuscany, has a population of around half a million inhabitants, spreads on the banks of the Arno, between the Adriatic and the Tyrrhenian seas, almost in the middle of the Italian peninsula. It is a city which bustles with industry and craft, commerce and culture, art and science.

Feedback Score
    Thanks! Looks like my grocery list is increasing:
    cucumber, spinach, Romaine lettuce. Wow...they gonna have a feast! []

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hehehe...

For me, I'm too lazy to do all these... rather open the packet and throw in an algae wafer...

And when I'm in the mood to watch them feed, I'd give them live bloodworms... really fun.. try it and you'd understand...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr site