Feedback Score
    Country
    Australia

Unhappy What's wrong with my Arowana? Please help!! ):

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, I have no idea what's wrong with my arowana.. been browsing through a number of sites regarding arowana sickness, but haven't found a proper diagnoses for it ):

Part of its upper body/fin (juts out 5cm from the water surface - see picture) isn't submerged in the water.. so it appears to be floating or something. It has been like that for over a month now..it hasn't been eating, too..

Please help me out..someone. It would be really helpful if there's anyone who has the same problem with their arowana..

Thanks,
    Michelle.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: What's wrong with my Arowana? Please help!! ):

Michelle,

I have seen a similiar case at a fish shop and the shop owner was trying to cure it.
    It's a swim bladder problem.
    The spin curvature is also not normal and probably an accompanying symptom - you will need to keep the top scales of the arowana wet otherwise it will develop secondary issues like fungus. You may want to put a powerhead near the surface to prevent that.

1 month is rather long. In some cases, owners see improvement and complete recovery after a few weeks. Do you have a fish vet in your area?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Australia

So there's something wrong with its bladder? What could've caused this problem? Over-eating.. Bad water quality?? The last meals it had were crickets and small shrimps..

And how do I keep its top scales wet? It refuses to submerge in the water fully ):
    I doubt there's a professional fish vet in indonesia.. haizz..

Somewhere on a tiny Island call Sillypore
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I'm sorry i do not know how to deal with your problem. Perhaps you may want to post in www.arofanatics.com. Its another Singapore based forum and plenty of aro keepers there that may provide you with more advices.
    Eugene (^_^)
    De Dwergcichlide Fanatiek
    Now swimming: Plecos and Apistogrammas

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by michdar View Post
    So there's something wrong with its bladder? What could've caused this problem? Over-eating.. Bad water quality?? The last meals it had were crickets and small shrimps..

And how do I keep its top scales wet? It refuses to submerge in the water fully ):
    From what I've read - it could be due to disease, food or impact related - thus the causes can be quite wide. The swim bladder lining is possibly inflammed and unable to expel the excess air and correspondingly affects the spinal muscle causing the curvature.

The shop owner I mentioned, did not manage to cure the customer's fish in the end (after lowering the water, adding salt + heater to 30-32 degC). In most cases, whereby the swim bladder issue is prolonged (e.g. weeks without any improvement), the lining hardens and can no longer function normally. This becomes a permanent issue in most cases.

Even if the swim bladder improves and the fish manages to stay submerged, the spine may still show varying degrees of curvature. Arowana farms do have similiar cases and those that do not recover are held permanently in their holding tanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

This might or might not help.

I have read from other foreign forum on marine upkeeping that divers who collected live fish from quite a depth and when they brought the fish to the surface too quickly would use a syringe to puncture a hole in the fish swim bladder to let the air out. If yours is the same case, this could be your last resort BUT you need to know the fish anatomy if you want to choose this option. I am in no way an expert and this is really UP TO YOU to go through with it. I will not assume any responsibility for your fish mortality but am merely telling you of an option that is available. I hope the fish condition would improve for the better.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Cheers,
    Melvin Lim

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England

Am i missing something here - why is the tank 3/4 drained?
    Currently keeping many wild betta species and other anabantoids.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England

????????
    How is this arowana doing?
    Currently keeping many wild betta species and other anabantoids.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah I was wondering the same thing, do you usually keep the water level that low in your arowana tank??