Country
    United_States

Re: Grindal Worms!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by exotic_idiot View Post
    Hi Mo, i'm keen to try. If possible i would like to keep it as a everlasting culture.
    Thanks.

Cheers,
    Ben
    Ya, I usually keep 3 separate cultures. Not because it is necessary but because I don't want to lose them (paranoia) .
    My oldest culture is about 1 1/2 yrs old, have not changed the medium yet. The others I feed more heavily for higher output.

Ok, anyone want some starter cultures just PM me. Limited time, to help some people out (Trade/cheap but not free). Forum members only, thanks. [Ron, let me know if that is ok? Not trying to make a profit on this]
    * MoZ Aquatics
    * Contact person: Mosiah (Mo)
    * Telephone number(s): cell: 086-8844287
    * Business address: Sukhumvit 77Rd. Bangkok, Thailand 10250
    * Email: [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

Quote Originally Posted by Zeth View Post
    how can i separate grindal worms from acari?
    Quote Originally Posted by exotic_idiot View Post
    Acari? Meaning a mite?
    Best method (if already infected) is to re-subculture your worms in a mite free medium. Wash them in water first and use only a few big worms for breeding, don't use ANY of the old medium.
    Be sure to sterilize the container if you are reusing it; bleach/dish soap followed by complete drying will work.

2nd best method, is to reduce feeding, humidity, etc.
    I have also found if you put the food into the substrate until most of it is covered than the mites will not attack it, since the worms will get to it first. This is more of a preventative measure though. Also helps with ants and small flies (a problem at my place). Once the worms population rebounds to out-compete the other invading critters than the culture will be more sustainable.
    * MoZ Aquatics

Feedback Score

Thank you !!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt99 View Post
    Ron,

Seems you guys are still in a worm crunch (short on worms)
    Hey I can send a few cultures out to some members if you can't sub them fast enough. Just don't hold me to it as a permanent job, as I also do other things

Regards

Generous bro .....thank you.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt99 View Post
    Ron, let me know if that is ok? Not trying to make a profit on this
    Mosiah, I am biased against free handouts, not so for the value of it but due to complacency. Trading is best since it fosters goodwill and friendship, but sell if you have to and do emphasize that you're sending starter cultures, not ready-to-harvest ones, lest the other party have different expectations.

I would also humbly suggest for interested members to read further on culture maintenance and re-subs. One box of culture is simply too dicey especially during warm spells.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I normally kept 5-6 cultures going for microworms.. And if any crashes in one of them, i gain experiences and revise food and water.
    I agree that it's necessary to trade/sell or give some of your cultures just in case anything might happen and you won't search high and low for it.
    Anyway IMHO - How much one can profit selling worms?
    Unless you open factory making mass productions?
    Cheers,
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...c/progress.gif"Ben"http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...c/progress.gif
    Life is all about patience & perseverance,
    Failure is just another new beginning

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

It was many years ago when I distributed microworms freely and taught fellow-hobbyists how to maintain and re-sub. At that time, no such live cultures were available and mine was one of the early circulations, if not the first.

Worms by itself is not going to get you rich but it's the effort of maintaining multiple cultures, especially when the was a fish gathering scheduled and I probably have at least 20 cultures as 'door gifts'.

Some of the serious hobbyists took the effort to keep their cultures going but generally, I felt that when one pays nothing, some don't bother to research more on the topic nor does it matter when the culture crashes... they just ask for another, expecting ready-to-harvest and that's what irks me the most.

For what grindals are worth, I hope that those who manage to get hold of starter cultures will put in the time for propagation. These really are a good supplement to most fishes' diet but not to be fed exclusively.
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by RonWill View Post
    It was many years ago when I distributed microworms freely and taught fellow-hobbyists how to maintain and re-sub. At that time, no such live cultures were available and mine was one of the early circulations, if not the first.

Worms by itself is not going to get you rich but it's the effort of maintaining multiple cultures, especially when the was a fish gathering scheduled and I probably have at least 20 cultures as 'door gifts'.

Some of the serious hobbyists took the effort to keep their cultures going but generally, I felt that when one pays nothing, some don't bother to research more on the topic nor does it matter when the culture crashes... they just ask for another, expecting ready-to-harvest and that's what irks me the most.

For what grindals are worth, I hope that those who manage to get hold of starter cultures will put in the time for propagation. These really are a good supplement to most fishes' diet but not to be fed exclusively.
    Now i fully understand your reasons already... But like what i told you before you meet some good, some bad... Nobody's perfect

For those who manage to get some cultures from mo, please took the effort to keep their cultures going instead of keep asking for more.
    P.s: including myself if i got it too
    Cheers,
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...c/progress.gif"Ben"http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...c/progress.gif
    Life is all about patience & perseverance,
    Failure is just another new beginning

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

Quote Originally Posted by RonWill View Post
    Mosiah, I am biased against free handouts, not so for the value of it but due to complacency. Trading is best since it fosters goodwill and friendship, but sell if you have to and do emphasize that you're sending starter cultures, not ready-to-harvest ones, lest the other party have different expectations.

I would also humbly suggest for interested members to read further on culture maintenance and re-subs. One box of culture is simply too dicey especially during warm spells.
    Yes, I will do, Ron. Totally understand where you are coming from, if it is free, then maybe less inclined to care.
    My micro-worm culture was lost during my move to the new place, so I went back to the Betta breeder lady and got a new one for 50B. I first thought her price was a bit high for this market, but consider the fact that it takes a lot of effort to keep so many cultures going and not many people buy very often. I think well worth it.

Anyway, let me state here: STARTER CULTURES ONLY. This means you feed them and grow them for a couple weeks before they should be harvested or re-sub'ed. Also keeping 1-2 backup cultures going is a good idea...since you never know. Many things can happen, mold, mites, ants, flies, you name it.. backup everything (like my PC ) Oh, and like Ron said read up on some other post about maintenance as well, for those who have not kept these before (even the experienced might find some new info).

Oh, I am in BANGKOK, THAILAND for those who are confused. (shipping is pretty low to SG) If you are in the USA or elsewhere it might be easier to buy on Aquabid. This is mainly for the forum members in SE Asia who don't want to pay the high shipping cost of ordering from the USA/Canada/EU.

Regards,
    Last edited by mozaqua; 19th Sep 2009 at 04:59.
    * MoZ Aquatics

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia

can u share your grindal for me

Feedback Score

Thank you very mutch

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

Quote Originally Posted by shentake View Post
    can u share your grindal for me
    PM me if you want the Starter culture. I will take Paypal, or trade for Moss, killi eggs, other types of live foods. Right now, other than Grindals, I have: micro worms, (vinegar eel worms on the way? Maybe), Moina, Daphnia pullex, Rotifers Fresh Water/SW, 3 types of Algae species, paramecium (i think), small Crustacean species (similar to Gammarus and Daphnia), and copepods FW. This list is not for sale, just letting you know what I already have...so if you have something different let me know.

I am encouraging everyone to share/trade and sub-culture these worms as much as possible.

Regards,
    Mosiah
    * MoZ Aquatics

Feedback Score

Hi all,

I've been experimenting with the scrubbing pad grindal/white worm culture method and the attached pic is the result. I had to switch from flake to a local cereal food which has given wonderful results. I can harvest from this culture twice a day! I didn't harvest on Saturday with the result that today the worms were trying to escape the box because there were too many of them in it.

This method works excellently. I'm going to try it with microworms and see how that goes.

tt
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Tyrone,
    Without the image, who would believe that scrubbing pads makes perfect media! Your use of a plastic lid, or any flat plastic piece for that matter, to keep other bugs out is an excellent idea.
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hmm.. grindals. The previous cultures on coco peat didn't work out. I can't find my copy of the TFH article on culturing grindals on a sponge pad.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score

You can try these two articles:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4560263_grin...poly-pads.html

http://www.angelfire.com/journal2/fi...ultureNEW.html

Stormhawk, a friend has isolated a grindal-like worm from his earth worm cultures and we will be experimenting with it. It seems temperature resistant.

The lids are plastic petri dishes. I tried glass and it didn't work. It seems the cover has to be light weight else the worms don't attach to it well or you end up picking up the food as well.

I'm selling my worm food on Aquabid if anyone is interested.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Mo,

Sorry to dig out a old thread.... can I buy a grindal culture from you? Or does anyone know where to buy in Singapore. Thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi all, any idea where or anyone selling this grindal worm in Singapore? Hope someone can answer or advise. Thanks for reading.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi,

Thanks to a kind bro here who supplied a starter culture.... I have since culture another 2 small grindal worm cultures, took me one month. Two cultures are enough for myself. So I am letting go one small starter culture set-up to pass on and help others. Not free though. Anyone? Sorry Mod, I am unable to post at marketplace yet. Please delete if not appropriate. Thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by icesee View Post
    Hi,

Thanks to a kind bro here who supplied a starter culture.... I have since culture another 2 small grindal worm cultures, took me one month. Two cultures are enough for myself. So I am letting go one small starter culture set-up to pass on and help others. Not free though. Anyone? Sorry Mod, I am unable to post at marketplace yet. Please delete if not appropriate. Thanks
    i'm interested in your grindalworm. Pls sms me @ 9643 7176

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast