Images
    Country
    Singapore

Redder red plants

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Some say having more Fe will make red plants redder while some say that this is a myth.

Anthocyanin is one component that gives the redness to leaves. Is there any other pigments that gives red plants the redness?

Anthocyanin do not contain Fe. So if you say that Fe makes plants redder, why?

Anthocyanin in acidic condition turn red, and blue in alkali condition. Do you guys have any experience of pH altering the redness of plants?

Light, N & P also have an impact on the amount of anthocyanin in leaves. What's your take on this?

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Anthocyanin is not the only red pigment in plants. There is a discuss on APD about this.

My experience is that if the plant is not Fe deficient, more Fe doesn't make it more red.

Regrading the pH thing, land plants like Hydrangeas are known to change the colour of their flowers according to the pH of the soil. Acid = pink, alkaline = blue. Aquatic plants? Dunno. Cos our water usually in acidic range due to CO2 injection. Does anyone with alkaline water here?

For the N and P, more P, no N = red plants. But N-less for too long, the plant becomes stunted.

It is also depends on the plant lah... e.g. Tiger lily is red regardless of the conditions.

Light definitely plays a important role for plants e.g. Rotala indica.

So, it is difficult to say what conditions cos redness, but generally if you want red plants, you need high light and good plant growth.

ck

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i would add that just FE alone wouldnt make alot of differences, u gotta factor in things like lights, pH as well.. like what CKyeo pointed out, I oso agree that some points require high light rather than more FE to achieve redness, my weekly dosage of TMG isnt enough to keep my ludwigia sp red even when its just a few CM away from the light source, even with additional E15, didnt make much of a diff but my rotala macranda 'green' turns red quite easily