Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

white spots on betta fry

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    i have a tank of three-week betta fry. two days ago i noticed that there are white spots on some of the fry, and everyday i find about 15 dead. ive been changing 20% of the water everyday, and adding salt, but it isnt working. is it itch or velvet, and how do i treat it? i dont wna lose all the fry

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: white spots on betta fry

what have you been feeding the fries with?

and what is the water temperature?

It is normal for betta fries to die occasionally as only the strong ones will survive. believe me, because i have bred bettas before and out of the 300 plus only 150-170 plus of the fries survived. don't be discouraged by this you could dose some medication BUT At very small amounts. Bettas fries at this stage could contract velvet or ich easily. remove the dead ones carefully as soon as you see them before they cause problems in the tank. remember , these fries are very sensitive to any changes in water parameter.

Here is a link for your reference : http://www.bettatalk.com/rearing_basics.htm

Hope this helps you. if you need any help don't hesitate to drop me a PM

Cheers
    Zaid
    Last edited by diazman; 31st Jul 2009 at 22:21. Reason: addition

Advice from boss Felix

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

hey zaid, thnks for replying!
    im feeding them baby brine shrimp about 3 times a day. and yeahh have been removing all the dead fry that i see. i dont have a heater, but the fry tank is kept outdoors with a lid on. im currently using ich medication i think its called methylene blue or sth? should i do any water changes and how much water is it safe to change??

thnks so muchhh!

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by peanutshell View Post
    hey zaid, thnks for replying!
    im feeding them baby brine shrimp about 3 times a day. and yeahh have been removing all the dead fry that i see. i dont have a heater, but the fry tank is kept outdoors with a lid on. im currently using ich medication i think its called methylene blue or sth? should i do any water changes and how much water is it safe to change??

thnks so muchhh!

no problem at all. for feeding of the fries, you could reduce the BBS (baby brine shrimp) and swap with micro worms. Because BBS have the tendency to cause Betta fries to have bladder disorder which is/might be causes of the death. Heater wise,should be ok since Singapore is very warm. Do keep note however, keep the lid on the tank at all times to trap the heat in the tank so that the temperature of the tank remains constant. for water change wise, it is better to do when they are about 5 weeks old (counting from the day they start swimming) in the mean while you could add aged water bit by bit (do not fill the whole tank up, the fries are not so strong yet ) do maybe just 10-20 % changes, not more than that .Did you add any air stone or sponge filter to agitate the water surface? (the scum on the surface prevents the fries from breathing properly.)Finally, your medication that you are using is correct but i stress again dose at small amount. hope this helps you. good luck rearing your fries!

regards
    Zaid
    Last edited by diazman; 5th Aug 2009 at 20:52. Reason: spelling errors

Advice from boss Felix

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

should quickly jar them to prevent further spreading