Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Neon v Cardinal

Feedback Score

Neon v Cardinal

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I have been keeping fresh water fish in planted tanks for almost 3 years now. One of my favourite is of course the Neon tetras. Problem is they can't last more than 6 months in my tank. Gradually they just dissappear. Neons are extremely prone to:

1. White spots
    2. Bloated stomach
    3. Scales problem
    4. Fungus infection on the forehead

Why are neons so difficult to keep? Is it because most neons are now locally bred in SEA and they lack the genetic diversity?

As for Cardinal tetras, some one told me they are hardier than neons. I presume this is due to most Cardinals are wild caught and wild caught fish generally outlast those that are bred locally.

However, if Serpae tetras are mostly locally bred, how come they last more than a year in my tank?

Perplexed.

Feedback Score
    i find that neon tetra will bully the weakest member in the grow causing it to lose colour and turn grey, backbone distort.(results seen from my 2 ft tank 1 die from the attack now the attacking another weaker neon) cardinal tetras on the other hand are more friendly towards each other.

Feedback Score
    I've kept 20 Serpae tetras for more than 6 months now. I have had only 1 or 2 casualties. Serpae tetras are by no means peaceful fish. They tend to engaged in an interesting swirling fight but with no injuries at all.

I don't see my neons to be aggresive though they do bully others. However, most neons die because of desease. I just want a show of hands of how many has managed to keep neons for a year in their tank. Mind giving some tips?

Feedback Score
    i have been trying to keep Neon tetras too and i have the same diseases that u mentioned, usually bloated stomach. Over the past few months, I've bought about 60 of them on different occasions and now i have 2 left. Last month, i decided to try cardinals (even though they are so ex) and I'm happy to tell u that 7 out of 8 are still alive and showing no signs of any disease whatsoever (even when kept with fishes with dropsy).

Feedback Score
    ptell, so I think it's an awful waste of time and money to keep neons cos we know it's gonna die anyway after a few months. Best advise is to keep away from neons.

I just got 20 cardinals from KL but unfortunately the long flight hours took it's toll. 4 died when I unwrapped the bag and another 8 devoured by shrimps. Another piece of advise, never keep common pond shrimps together neons, cardinals and lamp eyes. It will be desastrous. The shrimps normally feed on them when the lights are out. Notice that cardinals and occassionally also neons tend to stay low near the substrate and this is the time when they are the most vulnerable to these terrorist shrimps.

How long does it take for a juvinile cardinal to grow to 2cm?

I think maybe just like guppies, when you inbreed them too much, they don't have the hardiness wild caught ones have anymore? donno just a guess.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I've had mine for a year or so, but only 3 suvivors the rest have slowly died unseen due to dunno what reason.

is it just me or does cardinal seem to maintain a nicer more evenly elliptical body shape? my neons used to look nice when they were small, but asl they grew bigger, their spine either becomes crooked, or their stomach cave in or somthing..rather bony even.
    cardinals seem to be torpedo shaped whether young or old

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England
    HoppingHippo is correct.
    Neon Tetras are so inbred now it's unbelievable. It is very rare to get good stock unless they are wild caught. Most in lfs are not. That is why they die before they have been in your tank for 6 month.
    Currently keeping many wild betta species and other anabantoids.

davidd: if I"m not wrong, the female of the neon will have curved spine, its the physiology of the species.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Neons are now almost all bred in captivity therefore lots of medication are added into their breding tanks.
    After they get out of these tanks, they may not survive long coz not adapt well to medication free environment. Cardinal is better bet and mine has been surviving for a long time.

Robin
    i always fighting algae but still got more

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I agreed with Robin. Cardinal is a good bet.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think nowadays ppl are starting to breed cardinals. So the cardinal you get may not be wild caught.

IME, neons can last for long time too. Personally, I dun really find a difference between them.

BC