Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: how to get rid of small snails in my tank?

Feedback Score

how to get rid of small snails in my tank?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    recently i discover that many small snails are mutiplying in my tank..i thought of injecting puffer fishes to my tank but i have got many shrimps in my tank and was wondering is it appropriate to add in the puffer fish? or anyone got a better solution to share with me..thanks...

Feedback Score
    Why not try RAM (Papilochromis ramirezi) instead?
    It can control the population of snails.

Feedback Score
    Hi, this has been discussed before.
    Nonetheless, do think twice beofore introducing puffers.

What will you do with the puffers after they have done their job? They have a tendacy to nip fins when not well fed. So think carefully if you do not want any damage to your other fishes in your tank.
    A simpler but more dedicated alternative requires you to manually remove them.
    Hope this helps!
    #nicholas
    Web Album

Feedback Score
    thanks axel_wong and pipsqueak for ur advise but i left me wondering...what is RAM (Papilochromis ramirezi)..sorry i am kinda new to these terms and would like to know more..thank you for time shared..

Feedback Score
    Ram is short for Papilochromis ramirezi.
    Hey, it takes time to learn all these names. I was once as blur as you
    #nicholas
    Web Album

Feedback Score
    samsama, I experienced the same problem recently during setting up of my tank. The snails came with the plants I bought from Kuantan and they multiply like mad. Within 2 days I could see them all over the walls of the aquarium. There are a few steps to control or even eradicate snails in tank. I find them extremely effective. My tank now is already free of snails. This was my method.

Discus: THe discus immediately picked on the snails the moment I introduced her into the newly set-up tank. She continued for about a week.

Common pond shrimps: I doubts these guys will take out any snails but I pressume they can remove the snail eggs. So I put about 20 into the tank. Together with the discus I think the snails must have been consumed! Remember you take ALL of them out before you introduce Cardinals, Neons and Lampeyes.

Angel fish: I had 3 of them in the tank because I was told they are able to keep snail population in check.

Clown Loach: My friend had a similar problem too because we basically share the same plant supply. I advised him to keep a few clown loach and he got 3 for his 41/2 footer. The last time I checked yesterday, his tank was already free from snails.

Another method is to squash the snails on the glass the let the fish devour the remains. Keep doing this and soon the fish will "learn" to eat them.

So with all these in place, I am sure you'll be able to get rid of these snails. Let me know your result.

Feedback Score
    ttl100, around midnight tonite, try switching on your tank light. Then see for yourself whether your tank is snail free. I got a shock when I did that.
    Hee..hee..hee. The thing is, u can never totally get rid of them.

Feedback Score
    reef, too lazy to wake up in the wee hours of the nite to switch on the aquarium lights. Well as long as the fresh shoots don't get nipped then I am happy.

Another method which I've forgotten to mention earlier is to increase slightly the CO2. A German friend of mine tried this and it worked. Acidic water will desolve the soft and delicate shells from the snails.

Feedback Score
    for me i jus came up with the getting rid of snails when i am changing the water ... for me i took out all my driftwood(with riccia, java and christmas)leave it in the open for bout 1 hr ... can try to shake lightly in a pail ... while u do a 100% water change with the help of mr cleaner ....

OR

switch on ya air-con to the lowest temperature ... and the next morning u get to see lots of white substance on the tank wall and wad u gotta do is to use ya hand slowly pull out and squeeze it !!!!

Feedback Score
    hey thanks everyone...i will go try all yours recommended advise..really appreciate it..if i ould i tell ya the results...thanks again...beware of sars too!