Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: pencilfish become fighting fish?

pencilfish become fighting fish?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I"ve those common pencil fish in LFS not sure of the name, has only one stripe and red tipped fins. anyhow I"ve this pair that seems to keep bickering, they'll press their bodies against each other and keep doing over and over, b4 breaking off and chasing a little then fighting again. How come they are so aggressive? I thought pencil fishes were supposed to be peaceful?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    fighting for terrority? mating?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Seen it in my also, should be the male fighting for dominance, you will notice the color is quite different from the females, very intense.
    Danny Chng

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    my Nannostomus Unifasciatus do that all the time, no harm done, but you get to see their full coloration. I notice that they will only do that when light is on, otherwise, they always stay closely packed and often, in an indian file formation, fun to watch.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    My beckfordi (aka golden) and marginatus (aka dwarf) pencilfishes do that once in a while too (esp. my beckfordi). No casualties so far - i suppose having 6 or more of each species do make the fishes feel more comfy.

The eques (aka rocket-tail) is extremely peaceful compared the former 2.

Pls send me a PM if any1 of u have seen espei (aka barred) pencils on sale. Thanks!
    ThEoDoRe

Feedback Score
    My anostomus does that all the time too. 1 dark one & 2 paler ones... the dark one will chase the other 2 mostly, sometimes, the other way round. Usually, fighting for erriroty & food. No harm done I guess, didn't see any wounds.
    Read somewhere that if kept in pairs, the dominant one will "attack" the weaker one. If >4, less of such problem.

I have about 6 of them tog, what's funny is those fighting all the time are prob equally aggressive cuz you don't have one bullying the other kind of case, what you have are 2 equally stubborn fishes who simply refuse to give in to the other! and I"ve seen the fighting almost every other day already this week! coupled with a leopard danio who stakes out a small territory chasing away tetras who venture near, you have a mini Iraq-US situation in the tank!! []

but yeah hope they don't kill each other tho. so far that hasn't happened. keep fingers crossed!