Images
    Country
    Singapore

comm fish with goldfish ?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi can recommend some comm fish that can go well with gold fish ?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: comm fish with goldfish ?

I think Angel fish will be good.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

You are kidding me angel fish would be awful. What temp are you keeping the goldies at?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

29-30 degrees

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

What size tank? your goldies are probably suffering from oxygen deficiency at that temp you need to get their temp down to 23C really they are a coldwater temperent species. White cloud mountain minnows and corydoras are good tankmates.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by saltynay View Post
    What size tank? your goldies are probably suffering from oxygen deficiency at that temp you need to get their temp down to 23C really they are a coldwater temperent species. White cloud mountain minnows and corydoras are good tankmates.
    23degC for keeping goldfish ! That will be costly for up keeping. I do keep goldfish in the past without chiller and they are goinig strong. May be I am just lucky.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Well I have all my experience from a UK based background (which is obviously cooler then singapore for most of the year) but in the UK you don't want your goldies going hotter then 23-24C as it causes the oxygen carrying capacity of the water to drop to a level where the goldies start to have a shortened life span and activity as they begin to suffer from oxygen starvation. It doesn't have immediate effects but goldies are will easily live 25+ years in the correct conditions however this oxygen starvation seriously decreases there longevity and their immune system is depleted. I however can see how if these goldies for generations have been living in high tropical temps how they could adapt.

Placing a normal house fan blowing over the tank will lower it 2-3C which would get it to a more acceptable temperature. Incidentally to induce your goldfish spawning you need to give them 3 months of lowered temps then a couple of months of warmer temps and they will spawn if their environment is large enough.

Comets and other single tailed non-fancy goldies need 30 gallons for an initial fish and an additional 15 gallons for every fish added. Fancy goldies need 20 gallons for the initial fish and 10 gallons for every additional fish. Single tails get to 12-16" depending on exact species and fancies 8-12" so they are not small fish. Due to their messy habits and poor digestive efficiency filtration should be 2-3 times the required amount for the tank size so a 100 gallon tank would need filtration designed for a 200-300 gallon tank. If not kept in these conditions problems can occur; improper organ development due to the organs never reaching adult size (if kept in to small a tank), build up of fatty tissue due to inadequate swimming space causes cholestrol and heart problems with other diseases related to obesity.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

My suggestion is to keep a goldfish only tank, and learn to appreciate their beauty. Fancy goldfish with fancy goldfish, faster comets with faster comets only.
    They are cold water fishes, and likes higher PH, which is not typical of tropical fishes.
    They shit alot, and most other tank mates usually can't take the eventual high nitrate produced by them.
    They have rather big mouth when they grow bigger, and can swallow white clouds and other smaller fishes.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

WCMMs have been known to be ignored by goldfish predation although it does always come down to personal temperament of the fish. My goldies live with a colony of 40-60 endler/guppy hybrids with no noticeable losses I added them as excess stock in my tanks to be food for them.