Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

View Poll Results: Do you do water change for your shrimps?

Voters
273. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I usually do a water change of less than 20% per week

115 42.12%
  • Yes, I usually do a water change of more than 20% per week

54 19.78%
  • No, I only top up using tap water with anti chlorine

68 24.91%
  • No, I only top up using distilled water

36 13.19%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Is water change necessary for shrimp setups?

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Is water change necessary for shrimp setups?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by SeahSengYong View Post
    I use distilled water for water change.
    Not sure the difference between distilled water and mineral water we saw in supermarkets.
    as stated mineral water has mineral content in it, distilled water is basically H2O with no other mineral content.

for topping up tank water due to evaporation, distilled water is a better choice.
    CRS - CRazy about Shrimps
    - Alan Phang -

You can't explain it simply, you don't understand it (well enough )..." - Albert Einstein

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Spid,
    Are you adding too much Prime? It states use 5ml to 200liters of new top up water.
    My pail is about 10liters, hence I use only a few drops.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by chumzhujun View Post
    How to sucks up the shrimp poor if there is alot of shrimplet?

Haa haa....I would like to know the answer to this as well.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

i shall share my experience for topping up water as well..I have a 4L super nano tank with 5 grade A crs(very difficult to maintain parameter stability), what I did is that I treat my tap water using those 5L mineral bottle then leave overnight(bottle looks similar to knife oil 5L bottle) with shizen and mineral plus..I use it to top up water and water changes with no problem at all(0 death in 2mths since i started and even have berried females ).I kind of discourage adding distilled water because it may cause change to the parameters to the water in the tank thus shocking the shrimps (unless you use the tau huey method). I failed the first time going by this method of using tap water for changes and distilled for top ups(different parameters).

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Oh, the last time I use aged water treated with Seachem Prime and Mineral Plus, my shrimps died. Not sure if this is the cause but generally the feedback I got here is "mineral plus cannot add too much".

By the way, what is tau huey method?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Tauhuey method means, they use a tuahuey container to remove the water, and they'll replace it with the equal amount of water back. Mineral plus cannot add too much, unless you got very very low gH in your tank.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

but my fan that keep the water cold one week evaporate my two feet almost like 15 percent so i think by just adding water will do.......and for my tank no casualties for half a year so yeah.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by xconnect. View Post
    but my fan that keep the water cold one week evaporate my two feet almost like 15 percent so i think by just adding water will do.......and for my tank no casualties for half a year so yeah.
    Same here, do you just add distilled water? And you don't do any water change?

Do you add any other things like mineral plus, plants fert? I thought of getting BW Lush, apparently shrimp safe.

Feedback Score
    42 (98%)
    Country
    Singapore

I used to only take away 10% of the water , and then replace with water which has been aged for several months

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

My experience, when my water evaporates due to using a fan in a small tank. I just top up with aged water stored for a week. But every week try to do 20% water change for smaller tanks 2ft and below. If bigger tanks probably you got lots of media, good filtration canister and prefilter probably you don't need to do water change so frequent maybe once or twice a month.

I owned a 2ft tank, everytime I do water change, I will use a dropper to dose about 10ml Seachem safe powder premixed and 7~8 spoon scoops of Mosura shizen to condition water then I will use a small measuring cup of about 30ml water to mix 1 scoop of BT-9, Bio-plus and mineral plus one at a time till dissolved then add in tank to further enhance conditioning. Water will be cloudy when you add all the additives, once cycle for awhile it will clear up.

As I have alot of moss, I do daily dosage of BW Lush and 8hrs of light to maintain their healthy lush green.

Feedback Score
    42 (98%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith82 View Post
    My experience, when my water evaporates due to using a fan in a small tank. I just top up with aged water stored for a week. But every week try to do 20% water change for smaller tanks 2ft and below. If bigger tanks probably you got lots of media, good filtration canister and prefilter probably you don't need to do water change so frequent maybe once or twice a month.

I owned a 2ft tank, everytime I do water change, I will use a dropper to dose about 10ml Seachem safe powder premixed and 7~8 spoon scoops of Mosura shizen to condition water then I will use a small measuring cup of about 30ml water to mix 1 scoop of BT-9, Bio-plus and mineral plus one at a time till dissolved then add in tank to further enhance conditioning. Water will be cloudy when you add all the additives, once cycle for awhile it will clear up.

As I have alot of moss, I do daily dosage of BW Lush and 8hrs of light to maintain their healthy lush green.
    bro you 7-8 scoops of shizen to how many litres of water? ??

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Will 7-8 hours of light cause Marimo to turn brown?

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by freshfish View Post
    bro you 7-8 scoops of shizen to how many litres of water? ??
    7~8 scoops for about 80L, but just dose according to instruction. Usually I only dose about 2~3 scoops for 20% WC. If major 50~70% change then I dose more.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by kermit13sg View Post
    Will 7-8 hours of light cause Marimo to turn brown?
    kermit13sg, marimo won't turn brown for 8hrs of light, instead it will grow bigger at a faster rate. Plants need light to photosynthesis, more light means faster growth. It also depends on the light setup you use. I notice difference in using T8 and T5 light tubes, I personally used 2 tube T-5, it improves growth and color of my moss. T-8 not that good, plants don't look that green.

Plant turns brown/yellowish usually are lack of light and nutrient/mineral in water. Therefore introduce some liquid fert or minerals will help enhances growth and color.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

kermit13sg, marimo won't turn brown for 8hrs of light, instead it will grow bigger at a faster rate. Plants need light to photosynthesis, more light means faster growth. It also depends on the light setup you use. I notice difference in using T8 and T5 light tubes, I personally used 2 tube T-5, it improves growth and color of my moss. T-8 not that good, plants don't look that green.

Plant turns brown/yellowish usually are lack of light and nutrient/mineral in water. Therefore introduce some liquid fert or minerals will help enhances growth and color.
    thanks, so for my 1.5 feet tank, i guess my 11W PL light is grossly insufficient?

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

thanks, so for my 1.5 feet tank, i guess my 11W PL light is grossly insufficient?
    Try switching to T-5 lightings for better plant growth.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Try switching to T-5 lightings for better plant growth.
    55w? Would that be enough?

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

55w? Would that be enough?
    Should be good enough as long your tank is not very deep. Because eventually is how bright and how much light can penetrate into your water to reach the bottom plants. Use the 12000k sunlight tubes.

Aquazonic have quite good and affordable ones. 2 tube T-5 cost about $36~$38. Can look out for 2nd hand ones too.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Cool, thanks so much for the info

Feedback Score
    42 (98%)
    Country
    Singapore

7~8 scoops for about 80L, but just dose according to instruction. Usually I only dose about 2~3 scoops for 20% WC. If major 50~70% change then I dose more.

last time they had liquid shizen i preferred that .....

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast