Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Micropropagation of Plants

Feedback Score

Micropropagation of Plants

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I am interest in how to micropropate plants and those from seedings that cannot be replanted by cuttings...or offshoots...

Anybody can tell me more abt this?

Jo

Feedback Score
    Sounds like you'll need a lab to micropropagate, but I wouldn't know.
    I think I stumbled upon a site about micropropagation, but I can't remember the url, can try seaching for it on google.
    #nicholas
    Web Album

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    you need a asceptic environment and trained hands. You will also need plant growth regulators (hormones) to induce growth of the plants (depends on plants). In short, it is not difficult but too much trouble unless you are propagating the plant for sales or something.

The first problem is not to get the plant to grow, but to get the plant into culture without any bacteria/fungus/virus and keep it that way.

ck

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States
    There are a number of DIY tissue culture sites. You don't need a lab etc but you need decent technique etc. A number of places sell kits etc.

Few have had much luck with it at the hobby level. One of my friends here at UF works on this with Aquatic aquarium plants, Dr Kane. Florida Aquatic Nurseries owner's son is one of his students. We have talked about the old days etc. He works on Orchids namely as well.
    Hopefully I can get him interested in working on Crypts more. These are the most suitable plants for this type of culture commercially.
    Most all aquatic plants grow like weeds so this method is not that useful and is fairly labor intensive.

Tropica might be able to get a good amount in Europe for plants making this viable but in the USA and most of Asia, it's so much cheaper to toss some in a pond or a mist house and grow them.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 4/2/2003 8:02:53 AM

There are a number of DIY tissue culture sites. You don't need a lab etc but you need decent technique etc. A number of places sell kits etc.

Are u in Singapore or Florida? UF = Uni of Florida?? Yeah its cheaper to propagate plants in the tank or pond...hmmmm..but what abt algae problems? I should have studied Aquatics Biology instead of engineering!

I would be more interested to keep my own stock of other kinds of plants by micropropagation...I have this Aponogeton species..( not sure what it is exactly ) but IF i am not wrong the only form of propagation is seeds....I donno whether micropropagation falls under this category? I tried cutting leaves but it would regrow roots from them..the new leaves only sprout from the the originall Rosette..if I got the term correct.

Regards
    Joachim

Few have had much luck with it at the hobby level. One of my friends here at UF works on this with Aquatic aquarium plants, Dr Kane. Florida Aquatic Nurseries owner's son is one of his students. We have talked about the old days etc. He works on Orchids namely as well.
    Hopefully I can get him interested in working on Crypts more. These are the most suitable plants for this type of culture commercially.
    Most all aquatic plants grow like weeds so this method is not that useful and is fairly labor intensive.

Tropica might be able to get a good amount in Europe for plants making this viable but in the USA and most of Asia, it's so much cheaper to toss some in a pond or a mist house and grow them.

Regards,
    Tom Barr
    ----------------