Country
    Singapore

CO2 system for planted tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Guys,

I am a new member here and i am currently confused over the many equipments needed for a successful planted tank.

First and foremost, my tank size is 2.5Ft x 15inches x 15 inches with a "Big Boy" double tube flourescent light. Filter used is Eheim 2224.

I have been advised to get a CO2 system but seems to be quite expensive outside and many brands to choose from.Understand that ADA sale has this ADA CO2 Adv. System YA/Ver. 2 selling for $180. How is this compared to the outside ones ??? is refilling and spare parts difficult to get for the ADA one ??

Need your advise

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    elwen, there's a long long discussion about this in the "No more yeast for me" topic. Have a look.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi elwen, welcome to AQ.. from what u describe u might wanna add more lights to your present 2xFL.. what's the watt on the tubes?

ADA is founded by Takashi Amano, the C02 system uses a refillable c02 cylinder, but we do not sell those your other choice will be to get a c02 system from another lfs (Nature Aquarium, Petmart, Ah pek) at a reasonable price.. what you need a cylinder, regulator with/without a solenoid, check valve, bubble counter

Nature Aquarium - opposite thomson medical centra
    Petmart - Serangoon North ave 2
    ah pek - Lor Halus
    Last edited by bossteck; 19th Jun 2008 at 22:36. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 1/29/2002 1:24:29 AM

Hi Guys,

I am a new member here and i am currently confused over the many equipments needed for a successful planted tank.

First and foremost, my tank size is 2.5Ft x 15inches x 15 inches with a "Big Boy" double tube flourescent light. Filter used is Eheim 2224.

I have been advised to get a CO2 system but seems to be quite expensive outside and many brands to choose from.Understand that ADA sale has this ADA CO2 Adv. System YA/Ver. 2 selling for $180. How is this compared to the outside ones ??? is refilling and spare parts difficult to get for the ADA one ??

Need your advise

Thanks
    ----------------
    Thanks HWCHoy for the info.

Simon,

It says 20W. Is that sufficient ?? Also, in the market there seemed to be an alternative to CO2 injection using SEACHEM FLOURISH EXCEL. Is the product good enough as a replacement for CO2 injection system ??

Regards

Elliot

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    depending on the types of plants.. the range is between 1.5 to 3+watts per gallon.. those products are supplement with your existing c02 and cannot be used to replace c02
    Last edited by bossteck; 19th Jun 2008 at 22:37. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    A 5L taiwanese co2 set cost at a range of $235 to $270. This set I mention comes with a solenoid controller which I strongly recommend you to get. The non-solenoid version is much cheaper, maybe around $180.

The solenoid functions as an automatic off/on valve for your CO2. You don't have to switch it on/off manually daily and may be used to synchronise to flow when the lights are switched on. Also frequent adjustment of the needle valve has proven to reduce the regulator life span. In the solenoid version, once you set the desired pressure, there will be no need for any adjusments anymore.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 1/29/2002 8:10:27 AM

ADA is founded by Takashi Amano, the C02 system uses a refillable c02 cylinder, but we do not sell those yr other choice will be to get a c02 system from another lfs (Nature Aquarium, Petmart, Ah pek) at a reasonable price.. what u need a cylinder, regulator with/without a solenoid, check valve, bubble counter
    ----------------
    Simon, I thought the ADA CO2 system cylinder is disposable only, not refillable?
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    oops... my mistake..they are disposable and not refillable..

thanks choy
    Last edited by bossteck; 19th Jun 2008 at 22:38. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    What Simon really meant is that we don't have the replacement c02 canister........
    Last edited by bossteck; 19th Jun 2008 at 22:38. Reason: spelling
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey Guys,

It has been very informative and think i will check out the CO2 systems at the designated shops. I will also take up the idea of increasing or adding another 2x20W to my existing 2x20W to supplement the lighting to the plants. Hope my venture with planted tanks will be successful

Thanks!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Elwen,
    Don't worry, you won't regret it.
    Last edited by bossteck; 19th Jun 2008 at 22:41. Reason: remove immediate quote
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 1/30/2002 1:39:21 AM

Wat Simon really meant is that we don't have the replacement c02 canister........
    ----------------
    Yeah how do we get the replacement canister. Any advises, is it worth the while to buy ADA or buy others that is avaliable localy

[:0] []

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Just check to get a replacement canister CO2 System-74 Normal cost 15.62euros the shipping cost 49.57euros quite steep[] any comments
    Last edited by bossteck; 19th Jun 2008 at 22:41. Reason: remove immediate quote

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    michael, go compare the price first... overall, the ADA system is nice... but if the refills is gonna be that ex... you know the answer
    Last edited by bossteck; 19th Jun 2008 at 22:39. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Yeah i know that the offering price for ADA CO2 is cheap, and would love to have it, but just worried about the replacement canister any loubang on getting it, other then from the WEB, or would AquaticQuotient be able assist us to get it at a cheaper price.
    Last edited by bossteck; 19th Jun 2008 at 22:40. Reason: remove immediate quote

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    kekekeke.. I fear not, since there isnt distributor for ADA in SG

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi All,
    I was planning to get a CO2 cannister system then I saw these electric CO2 sysems, that are much cheaper. Is anyone here familiar with the pros and cons on these systems copared to a cannister?

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Once you start using pressurize Co2, you'll stick to it.

About the Electric Co2 system, it does take more space in your tank, and the replacement cartrigde is relatively expensive. And output might not be constant. (not sure about that one). And I do not believe you can use a reactor with that.

Cheers, Christophe
    ~ Ā q u ã O b s έ Ş Ş i ŏ ŋ ~
    Once you pop, You can't Stop
    http://aquaobsession.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Ok I have just bought a C02 bottle ($65) and Solenoid ($85). Was quite happy cos those sets I have seen that includes bottle, and soneoid and few other stuff are selling for $270.

But the shop keeper recommended I get this Multi Direction Diffuser reactor. Its a cylinder with 3 balls inside. Not used it yet but not sure if its any good or not. He told me it will not clog up with algea.

I am not sure if the cylinder should be located near top or bottom of tank - cos the water from the filter is linked to it you see???

Any reviews

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    syburn,
    Great to know you have acquired a co2 system. By the way, what is this multi direction diffuser reactor ? Any pics for it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast