Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: My 1st New fish tank with DIY C02. Need advice

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

My 1st New fish tank with DIY C02. Need advice (Moved to Plant Talk)

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I guess i posted in the wrong section, Thread Closed and move to Planted Talk
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...822#post477822

Mob Help me close this thread, thanks and sorry.

Hi i'm new to this forum and hopefully i post this thread in the right place. (Dear Mob kindly move my thread if it's not suitable here, thanks )

Hi everyone, this is the 1st time i started with my very own little aquarium and taking it up seriously as a hobby. As i'm still newbie, i really need the advice of many Aquarius here.

After setting up my 1st tank like 3 week ago, i decided to fully focus in planting and Aquascaping to make it look better as well for a better living place for my fishes.

After google online and searching through forum, i know that in order to maintain and successful in reaching my goal, there are many changes that i need to make. But i'm doing it with no or little experience.

This is the tank i started with, it's pretty simple and the detail of my aquarium is here:
    45x30x30
    36.45 litres
    Boyu SP-602F QMAX: 340L/h
    Lighting: the box said 9W

Inside my tank i got like
    5 guppy
    2 algae eater (Gold colour type of xiao jin lin)
    3 Malayan Shrimp (still alive)
    and neon.

And i'm determine to make it look like at art examples:

Lol pretty much changes to do right?
    But i'm gonna try, at the same time need advice.

Continue next posting
    Last edited by dna9179; 26th Aug 2009 at 15:00.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: My 1st New fish tank with DIY C02. Need advice

I decided to take steps by step instead of spending on everything without knowing will it works or not.

Step1: I want to grow Hemianthus callitrichoides Cuba and let it cover the foreground and spread eventually. this step is the most challenging step as it's not easy for Hemianthus callitrichoides to grow and spread. I bought the plant and i planted them onto the foregound already

I know the lighting and c02 is vital to the grow of this plant and the current problem i having is the lighting.

Lighting: the box said 9W

I believe not enough right?
    bcoz of my little 9W lighting is low and i dun intent to change right now so i position the light right next to the HC temporarily to provide more lighting strength.

Question: If i would like to change the lighting, how many W of lighting and which brand are good and i hear those term like T5 T6, what does that mean?

C02 next part
    Last edited by dna9179; 26th Aug 2009 at 14:27.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: My 1st New fish tank with DIY C02. Need advice

C02 setup

I decided to set up a DIY C02 bcoz of budget.
    Again i google it and finally i did one of my tank.

the c02 reactor is done but after doing more research i decided to make changes to it by adding a bubble-counter/trap to prevent the c02 to dirt the tank

Diffuser

BUT i do not know if it fail bcoz of the counter/trap.
    after i connect the tube to the counter/trap, i notice the different between with the trap and without it. without the trap and directly to the diffuser, it take a while for me to see tiny bubble coming up the glass up.
    When i connect to the trap be it the jar or the syringe tube, i can almost never see the tiny air comes out from the glass diffuser.

currently i removed the trap and direct it to the diffuser and it's work with tiny bubble coming out.

But then as i do more research, i realise the C02 dissolve in the water is NOT THE TINY BUBBLE coming out from the diffuser, they slowly dissolve through the glass and those excess gases will then come out from the diffuser thus forming the tiny bubble rising up. Is this ture?
    Last edited by dna9179; 26th Aug 2009 at 14:38.