1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Wild Cardinal Tetra

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Wild Cardinal Tetra from Biotope, claimed from Brazil.

Last edited by ct13; 26th Aug 2009 at 19:09.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Wild Cardinal Tetra

They are beautiful! May I know what's the damage?
    Thanks for sharing.
    Angel Fish Lover,
    Gon Jinn

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by gonjinn View Post
    They are beautiful! May I know what's the damage?
    Thanks for sharing.
    10 for $15.00 if i did not remember wrongly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Any idea if the cardinals available at the other LFS are wild or bred?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Majority are tank bred.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

that's not right, neon tetras has been bred for the trade for a long time, but cardinals have been primarily wild caught, the bred ones being not in enough volume to meet trade needs and apparently only supplied to Europe.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by ct13 View Post
    Wild Cardinal Tetra from Biotope, claimed from Brazil.
    OK I should make some clarification (or bone picking) on this.

first of all, wild cardinals would have to be from Brazil since that is their home .

second, most cardinals in the trade are caught from the wild as it is difficult to captive breed in enough volume for the trade.

however I spoke with Biotope and basically these fishes are imported directly from the collectors and distributors in Brazil. so you can be sure they are from the wild (other trade stock could be captive bred, you can't be sure). also since their stocks are direct import from Amazonas there is a good chance there will be by catch! means possibly strange and exotic tetras!
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks so much HWCHOY for the clarification, I love the blood red body colour!

Waiting for their next shipment to add more into my tank.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I am personally a strong supporter of sustainable wild collection of fishes. only when wildlife and their habitat can bring economic relief to the inhabitant would it become a target of protection, as this represent their livelihood.

luckily for us the cardinal population seem to be able to sustain a huge collection pressure.

also through this collection activity, we actually get to discover many more obscure species, as by-catch and new discoveries (eg the galaxy rasbora of Myanmar). where such fishes become captive bred in the hobby, it also become a backup to their going extinct in the wild. a number of fishes are near to or at risk of extirpation in their primary habitat but may at least live on in captive bred stocks. eg are the white cloud mountain minnow, cherry barb, and even Endler's Livebearers.

the gravest danger to wildlife is not collection for the trade, but destruction of habitat.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for sharing your thoughts (very "chim" - in hokkien), but I agree completely with you Choy.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by ct13 View Post
    Thanks so much HWCHOY for the clarification, I love the blood red body colour!

Waiting for their next shipment to add more into my tank.
    When I first started my planted tank which was last year, these cardinal tetra in biotope had already caught my eyes. I also love the blood red body colour.

Cardinals live in Brazil, Colombia and Venezuela.
    Old fish breeder. SA Dwarf Cichlids, Hypancistrus sp L260, L333 and Peckoltia L134 breeder. Also Sturisoma, Dwarf Corydoras spp, wild Discus and Killiefish. Like breeding Characins and wild Betta spp too.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Since all the cardinals available in Singapore are all wild caught, why is there such a great difference in pricing? 10 pcs for $15.00! Seaview sells 100 pcs for $35.00, Gan Fish Farm also sell at a lower price but not sure now,bought from Gan at $0.50 per pcs a few years back. I really doubt all are from South America. Maybe some farms in Malaysia have successfully bred C.Tetras.
    JMHO.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Different stores have different prices, according to where they source the stock from and how much they intend to mark up. You cannot compare simply on price. Quality is always a better factor to compare, instead of cost.

IIRC, the farms in the Czech Republic are breeding cardinals in good numbers. Perhaps some of the fish in the hobby are sourced from there, and not just wild caught fish from South America alone.

I don't keep them because they never stay alive long enough for me to appreciate. So I just stay with Neon Tetras, since they're easily available and not that expensive to begin with.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Cambodia

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    Different stores have different prices, according to where they source the stock from and how much they intend to mark up. You cannot compare simply on price. Quality is always a better factor to compare, instead of cost.

IIRC, the farms in the Czech Republic are breeding cardinals in good numbers. Perhaps some of the fish in the hobby are sourced from there, and not just wild caught fish from South America alone.

I don't keep them because they never stay alive long enough for me to appreciate. So I just stay with Neon Tetras, since they're easily available and not that expensive to begin with.
    Cardinal is suppose to be more hardy than Neon Tetra.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I must say my views on the two tetras have changed of late. Right now, I don't see a marked difference in terms of hardiness between the two at the moment after a change in my luck with a recent bag of 30 Cardinal tetras I bought at a LFS for a pretty cheap price. They're fat, feeding well, schooling normally and displaying all their vibrant colours. I don't think they will breed in my community aquarium, but hey, it's worth a try.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Anyone can tell me what is the plant behind the tetras? Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Potamogeton gayi

Easy plant to grow
    There can only be ONE

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

Here in the US, Cardinals usually sells for $3.99 ea. until recently. A large petchain sold Cardinals and many other tetras for $1.00 ea. I had twenty established in one of my tanks but purchased 50 more. They are quarantined, medicated and are doing great. I plan to introduce them in a week or so to several tanks that are established.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I ever bought quite a handful of them but no luck. I was captivated by their deep body despite I had a tankful of them swimming around.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast